Bike build....

-
I don't know anything about bikes .....a relative has what I am told is a "fatboy" if he hadn't told me that I would have never known.

Given who the O.P. is here I am inclined to follow the thread. I wouldn't mind seeing Mr. ink in action building something.......that is the main point why we are here after all and the rest is just extra-curricular anyway.

So yes, Im in ......Ayyyyy matey, where be this bike thread ye be talking bout (my best pirate voice)

I have not started it yet my Lady....need to be 100% positive of what direction I am heading in before starting the thread....perhaps I will start it anyway....I am so confused....

need to be 100% positive of what direction I am heading in before starting the thread....perhaps I will start it anyway....I am so confused....

sounds like me on my builds .....I have a dart in bare metal and I have changed my mind six times already as to what color to go with. I keep changing my mind about what options it should have too. #-o

Sometimes you just have to dive in and hope for the best. Hopefully you will see something that inspires you soon.:cheers:

sounds like me on my builds .....I have a dart in bare metal and I have changed my mind six times already as to what color to go with. I keep changing my mind about what options it should have too. #-o

Sometimes you just have to dive in and hope for the best. Hopefully you will see something that inspires you soon.:cheers:
Truer words have never been spoken. While Ernie & I were driving home she nailed the problem....by me building a more normal bike, one that can be ridden for longer distances etc. I am giving up on the younger, more wild side of myself....guess the simple solution to that would be to build 2 bikes.....:D

my automotive instructor used to tell me to formulate an idea of what I think I want and tone it down a notch or two and that will most likely be the sweet spot that makes me the happiest.

Of course I was much younger when he told me this but he said too often what people think they want is somewhat a pie in the sky. So toned down a notch or two will most often be more practical and affordable and win in the long run.

I have to say that the few time I listened to his advice it rang true....for me anyway.

Now that I am getting older and closer to 30, I think some of the ideas I had in my youth were really dumb. LOL

More affordable and useable ,makes sense. My 3800 lb. El Camino with a healthy rat, 4500 stall & 4:10's out back : ran hard on Saturday night,sucked everywhere else. Life sucked,on maintenance.
Sorry Doug, my interpretation of your situation.

Keep coming back to this comment...you pretty much nailed it....

More affordable and useable ,makes sense. My 3800 lb. El Camino with a healthy rat, 4500 stall & 4:10's out back : ran hard on Saturday night,sucked everywhere else. Life sucked,on maintenance.
Sorry Doug, my interpretation of your situation.

isn't that the truth... went through the same thing with my dart.. good running 360 with 3.91 gear. was fun as hell at the track running low 12's but pretty much sucked anyplace else.

had so much more fun with the car when a stock 360 and 2.94 gears went in it..

isn't that the truth... went through the same thing with my dart.. good running 360 with 3.91 gear. was fun as hell at the track running low 12's but pretty much sucked anyplace else.

had so much more fun with the car when a stock 360 and 2.94 gears went in it..

This is what I am up against, to a point. Want something that is rideable. But at the same time I don't want to see myself riding down the road every where I look. I really like the way my chopper looks but....

Down to two choices.

View attachment dualshock-1.jpg
FX-FL frame, 34* rake with a 2" up stretch. From the folks I have talked to it is a great riding machine. Most of my junk will swap over to it. Will need a different set of triple clamps and fork tubes....my triple clamps are 5* ones, according to the rake/trial calculator I am using I will need 0* clamps. Problem for me is the bike is dated looking, the rear shocks and swingarm just like prehistoric.

View attachment Untitled.jpg
Then there is this softail bike, sorry about the small picture, could not save just the photo. 38* rake with a 2" up stretch. Really do like the way this bike looks. From a couple of different folks I have been chatting with this is about the limit of rake and stretch before things get goofy. Here is the issue. Softails are travel limited in the *** end. The chopper bottoms out on out dirt road with just me on the bike. Add the Boss on the back and it is even worse. Now granted I have a very cheap set of shocks under it. The solution to this is to ad an air ride. While it does not increase the travel it will allow me to use all of what is built into the bike. There is a crap load of air ride systems. The good ones, for example Shotgun Shock, allow you to control height, preload and rebound. The cheaper ones are just like airshocks for a car, they increase the ride height....with the bike ones sometimes this happens at the cost of ride quality. Going over to Idaho, hopefully tomorrow, to meet Chris White. His Aussie friends bike is in his shop and it has an air ride in it. Chris has told me he is not all that impressed with it. But he has offered me a chance to take Rays bike out for a quick jaunt.
If I go with the softail frame I will need new triple clamps and fork tubes as well. Both bike will also need a new wheel as they will have a 180 tire in place of my 250. But being a softail I know all my junk will fit, including my seat. Both bikes will also require me to get a new set of fuel tanks...not a problem as the chopper only holds 3 gallons or so...the tanks I am looking at are double in size.
Not looking to build a canyon carver. Done that already. If that is what I was after I would start looking for another Big Bore sport bike. Not looking for a sled neither. This stuff is making my head hurt...

Option 2!

Actually, the 34* front end off the first bike on the second one would be killer, if available.

#2 does look awesome, and would be a sweet bike when done! #1 looks doable, though a little more spartan in its approach! ID be afraid that #2 may not suit your goal of longer rides with the bride, and of course I like the idea of building 2 bikes!!

ID still vote #2 !!

I went to a nice "all makes" rally on Sunday, lots of nice iron and a ton of vintage stuff! Now considering selling all my junk and getting me a Vincent!! That is one sexy cool bike!! Would have to be a Black Lightning or Black Shadow though, although this Rapide was cool too! Geof

Attachments

• image.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 63
Option 2!

Actually, the 34* front end off the first bike on the second one would be killer, if available.

It is available in 34*....

Sitting here looking at the pictures on top of each other makes it sort of a no brainer.....I need the top bike....but want the bottom bike. SOon as the wife can get me logged into our other account so I can transfer the $$ I will be ordering the top frame. What I really would like to build would be a bike similar to the Yellow one...but with a 300 series tire and right side drive. The right side frames are a bit pricey...I have not really looked at the right side frame in the Kraft Tech catalog. Hmmm.....perhaps I should take a look before pulling the trigger....

Just ordered a frame to build my version of the top bike...the FX-FL frame.....hope I made the right choice....

Ive had my fair share of bar hoppers and the old lady HATED that P pad, she loves the thing though, and as soon as the snow falls here it's getting a make over. Nice choice of frame I don't think you'll have any regrets

Attachments

• image.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 67
Ive had my fair share of bar hoppers and the old lady HATED that P pad, she loves the thing though, and as soon as the snow falls here it's getting a make over. Nice choice of frame I don't think you'll have any regrets

Hope so. This is one of those times that what you want and what you need just don't see eye to eye. Maybe someday down the road I will build what I want..wide tired, 38* or 40* rsd frame with a 5" backbone stretch. Right side drive frames are a bit more pricey than the left....and then there is the issue of the rsd trans....something similar to this....

View attachment 1308rsd_bigdog02.jpg

I think Kraft Tech makes a frame similar to this, if not identical that is a 240/250 rear tire and they offer one in a 300/330 as well.....I think.....Got a feeling that my Dart is going to be sitting forever & I will end up with 2 bikes....

Here is a picture of my 52 panhead chopper I am building. The motor is 98 cubic inches and it's in a factory wishbone frame.

Attachments

• 1380829161151.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 51
Here is a picture of my 52 panhead chopper I am building. The motor is 98 cubic inches and it's in a factory wishbone frame.

Got some more pictures? Info? Looks like it is going to be a nice scooter....

Frame should be here by the end of the month. Have to build my table first. Will have the rest of the metal, that I know I need, for it on Tuesday. But needless to say my camera just took a dump & will be getting sent to Canon to be fixed....

-
Back