bilstein shock update

-

jdsduster

Reaction score
got around to putting on the 4 shocks on the duster.all i can say is the monroes mushy,the kyb were hard as rocks.the bilsteins are the best shock i have ever had on the duster.i dont know the correct term to describe them,CONTROL without the hashness or bouncy.i am totally in love with these shocks.i wish i had put them on years ago.to anyone thinking about using these shocks,let me put it to rest,you will be totally satisfied.i was sceptible about spending the $ on these,but they are well worth it.

List what suspension, wheels, and tires you're running.

I had them on a stock, worn out suspension in my '68 Dart with 205/75/14 tires on all for corners and thought they were fantastic for a cruiser.

rubber bushings,tubular uppers from firm feel,espo springs,bf goodrich,275/60/15-225/60/15.repop rallys,polly front links

KYB's seem to have a very firm 'initial' movement but after that they don't provide enough friction to dampen the suspension movements in a proper way. That's why they are considered hard.

I went from KYB's to rebound adjustable Hotchkis shocks on the front which was night and day too.

On the rear axle I went from Monroe Sensatrac Loadleveler shocks to Bilsteins, and now to adjustable QA1 shocks, which all were a step up in better control of the car.

I put Bilsteins on my car, like them a lot. I got mine from FirmFeel.

The KYBs have too much gas in them I think. Using my bathroom scale I got a reading of 100lb. before they deflected at all which would contribute to ride harshness.

Doing the same thing with the Bilsteins I got a scale reading of 50 lb.

-
Back