Bilstein shocks

-

ir3333

Reaction score
has anybody installed Bilstein shocks on their a body without other suspension mods?
..how was the performance and ride?

Not on my A-body, but on two other rides - my '67 Cutlass and my '99 Mustang.

I had a set of mid-range Gabriel shocks on the Cutlass, and couldn't tell much of a difference between them and the Bils, except over really sharp bumps or washboard. It was a cruiser though, as those GM A-bods don't like being pushed too hard on stock suspension bits. So in this case, the Gabriels gave me 80% of the ride quality for less than half the cost.

But since the Mustang got driven a lot harder, especially in the twisties, I could tell that the Bilsteins were a step ahead. They performed really well out of the box, and the car felt much more stable under all road conditions. The PO had a set of Koni STR.T orange struts and shocks on the car when I got it - I'm not sure what they were like new, but the Bilsteins were a definite upgrade.

Are the Bilsteins worth it? I guess it depends on how you're planning to use your car.

the front seems fine with .920 torsion bars and Bilsteins
circle track rear springs and Bilsteins ,ride seems harsh in the rear.
thinking maybe softer rear springs and keep the Bilsteins?

I had them on my Dart and I thought they were fantastic. Granted, I was running 0.87" T-bars and 273 rear leafs (I believe there are 4.5 leafs total), and 205/75/14 tires. Also, all of my bushings and suspension components were worn out pretty bad. So, my suspension and wheel combo was a tad softer than yours, but I would definitely buy them again. Before I had them I had blown out shocks in the front with bad air shocks in the rear. The car would literally sway back and forth on the freeway. Once I installed them, the Dart was very planted.

the front seems fine with .920 torsion bars and Bilsteins
circle track rear springs and Bilsteins ,ride seems harsh in the rear.
thinking maybe softer rear springs and keep the Bilsteins?

You could always swap out the Bilsteins for another set (borrowed, perhaps) in the rear just to see if it's the springs, or the shocks.

I wouldn't say the ride with the Bilsteins was harsh in the Mustang, but the damping/rebound rates were definitely not "soft", and the car felt much more planted at speed. I really noticed a difference when powering out of corners that had less than perfect road surfaces - instead of skipping sideways or pushing into oversteer, the rear held firm with the Bilsteins in place. They didn't degrade the ride quality, and it's not that those GTs were known for a cushy suspension in the first place.

ride is nice...very modern safe feel,but above 60mph seems harsh.
i did leave one poly bushing in the rear shackle and my exhaust is
very quiet so actual road noise is more noticeable.

Try dropping the rear tire pressure a bit first, if that don't make it work put 100 lbs in the trunk and if it rides the way you like leave it in there.
After that you will need to pull out a leaf or change springs, I don't it's the shocks.

...lots of experimenting before i buy new springs,may be a pinion or axle bearing creating the noise or harshness it's very hard to tell..Problem is we can't buy anything now because of US exchange (.36 on $1 US) ..how much are stock Espo springs anyway?

Define harsh a little better.

Is it vibration? Does you rear view mirror look blurry when you look at it above 60 mph?

Have you checked you pinion angle. Circle track springs have a different arch than stock.

What is the car like when you hit pavement transition?

Poly rear bushing will translate more overall noise and drone from the trunk compartment. I added just rear polys to my car and I could hear an increase of general ambiant noise from the rear.

Harsh at high speed..no real vibration.
It's hard to describe....road noise and just not smooth
at 50 mph on a coarse road it is firm,you can feel small bumps but is still quiet and smooth

i believe i have found the problem.Rear axle bearings are burnished with some light pitting.I have replaced them with oem tapered (easier than expected)
...hope this helps someone else with a similar problem!

-
Back