Binding in Manual Steering Box?

-

64physhy

Reaction score
I Just got a manual steering box for my Duster. There doesn't seem to be any slop, but as I turn it stop to stop, it seems to have some binding or stiffness in the middle of the turning range. Since this would be about where it would be with the wheels pointing straight. I'm not sure if it's supposed to be tight in that range or not. I have no experience with manual steering. Is it normal or anything to be concerned about?

I bought a parts car that I was going to drive home. Had a few problems and decided to trailer it . Turned sharp to line it up and the malual box stuck. Never did get it unstuck. Glad I didnt try to drive it home. Be careful....

There is an lock nut adjuster on the box that takes the play out of it, back it off just a hair at a time till the tight spot go's away.

If you fund it to be real loose after that...the box was toast and someome was trying to band aid it with over snugging the free play adjuster.

Thanks guys. It worked and didn't get sloppy. Seems like a good solid box. Now for an install question; someone told me that the steering column is collapsible and some can be pulled out when converting to manual steering so I don't need a new column or adapter. True or not?

I have heard the same. Do some research, but I heard that you hit the bottom with a sledge hammer pushing it up in, and then pull it out. I have never done this, but I thought I read that somewhere.

I'll figure it out when I take the ps out. If it looks like it will need forced, I'll get an adapter.

You need a longer steering shaft. You can lengthen the power steering shaft, but that won't leave much meat. You also need a manual steering coupler.

It has been very common in years past to tighten up the center of the manual gear on drag cars.

Mopar Action did a steering rebuild article a few years back, it mentioned the box is supposed to have increased resistance in the "straight ahead" position, -to reduce highway shimmy iirc. But it shouldn't be noticeable while driving

-
Back