Biohazard

-
My first Cuda had the 'no thanks' option for the center gauge. While it was out to facilitate painting the dash, I decided to get fancy. Just had to find an electronic tach that was the right diameter. Hey, it worked!

I would be 99% complete with the steering column had I brought the gear position indicator. :(
At least I hope I just left it at home.

What I have completed this week is all loaded up in the hatch. Hopefully I can make the 2.5 hour trip without letting anything get scratched up.

Gotta say, though: the car makes a great curing oven when parked in the sun with the windows up.

Gettin' a little bit done today. Pulled the HVAC box, flipped that one flapper rightside-up, and put it all back in.

Ordered a new windshield gasket and retaining clip set.

This thread is awesome, the attention to detail and going through and cleaning everything meticulously, seriously cool.

Thanks for that, Dave. I kinda felt like most people thought I was crazy or over-doing it on the cleaning aspect but it is absolutely critical in my situation. Of course, having a car so clean ain't a bad thing. Glad you're enjoying the thread. By the time it's done, there should be a photo if almost every single part of a 2nd gen Barracuda.

Repair work. Where the paint had lifted between the large bezels, on the matte silver part.

And where the black finish on the inside of the round bezels peeled off.

Car almost looks finished when viewed from the side.
Anyway, this thread needs more car pictures to balance out the detail shots.

Starting on the rear brakes. It would just be nice to get some parts off the shelf.

Backing plate - stripped of parts and mostly clean. I'll give it another pass with the Marine Clean before reassembly.

Cleaned or replaced all the internal workin's.
All ready to go once I finish with whatever I'm going to do with the hub and backing plate.

Terrific. Just discovered what most of you already know: I have the "hard-to-find" 10-inch rear drums. :(

New shocks are in. All Gabriels. My vintage Sears SteadyRiders were in 'shock'ingly good condition but a side by side with the Gabriels shows me that the new shocks have noticeably more compression damping and only a hair more rebound damping.

Also noticed that the Sears' units were built around a slightly fatter tube - usually a good thing except that they are both dented. Maybe the wrong tool for the job?

Ugh...can someone tell me where this goes?
It's about 1.5 inches long. Kinda lost track of what it came off of.

Gotta love corporate. Sure, O'Reilly turns drums but not if they are anywhere close to the limit. I don't know why I even waste my time there. Found a less 'corporate' place and the guy was willing to clean them up for me but thought he had a connection ... blah blah - anyway, the guy says he's got the right drums, from Centric, in the warehouse and he'd have them in today. Still waiting on that phone call.

We were at least able to measure my existing drums and compare them to Centric's specs and they were a match. Stay tuned because either he's calling me or I'm calling him - today.

Dash pad from Classic Industries came in as well. Very nice. New foam and vinyl over an original steel core.
If you look at the pads on their website, it mentions needing to remove some material to ensure the studs fit but I see what they are talking about and it's no big deal at all. You're just peeling off some excess glue that collects around the base of the studs. Just have to run a sharp knife around the stud base and peel.

-
Back