BJR racing

-

67mopr

Reaction score
I got this off their website. Is he saying that you don't need high dollar heads to get 400 plus HP and TQ. ?<H3>

Small Block Cylinder Head Technology

I know a lot of people try different things and do some trial and error on different things, and I'm going to try and help you folks out by letting you know what I've found in past experiences. I will cover these heads in groups of 273/318, and 340/360 and 383/400 and 440's.

OK. First the 273/318 heads:

I'll mainly be talking about the 318 as they are more common and more available. But the same will apply to both engines. For most people, they are looking for good pickup for the street and in this case you would need to stay with the 318 casting heads as the 340/360 heads have too much port volume in them for the bore size of the 318 - even at .030 or .060 overbore.

I know that some are going to say that they never had any problems with the 340/360 heads on their 318, and you more than likely didn't. But you left some HP and TQ on the table. The smaller ports in the 318 heads from 67-90 will have more port velocity than the larger heads and they will use less fuel, and nowadays who couldn't use more fuel mileage?

So, my suggestion would be to use the smaller intake valve that comes in the heads (1.78) and use the larger exhaust valve out of the 340/360 heads (1.60). What this will do is give you more HP from the high velocity intake, and more TQ from the larger exhaust size valve. Most 318 engines won't ever need more than 136 cc's of port volume. Most stock castings are 120/122 in port cc's and the 302's are 118/120 from the factory. Now by opening up the bowl and gasket matching the heads they will gain about 6-8 cc's, depending on how much work you are willing to do. Heads in this state should make about 210/215 cfm's with a good valve job. This is enough to get over 450HP out of the engine. With the right components cam, intake, and carb. and exhaust, of course..

Another thing that most people have done is to add the 1.88 intake valve to the 318 heads and this only hurts the flow at low lifts and port velocity. Basically the port becomes less efficient, and we all know that the more efficient a engine is the more HP and TQ it will produce. The reason that I don't suggest the larger intake valve is the shrouding effect of the head and cylinder wall. Let alone, the drop of flow and low speed operation of the engine. Basically the throttle response won't be there.

Anytime a port becomes larger, it will require more fuel to stay efficient. Another thing that has a direct effect on the port size is the rod length, what this does is determine the piston speed. The faster the piston speed, the larger the port will need to be, as there will be less suction time for filling the cylinder. This is the reason the big block Chevys need a port with 290 cc's as their piston speed is very fast due to the short length of the rod (6.135). And a big block Mopar needs a smaller port in the 175/180 cc range due to it's rod being 6.768.

With heads in the 125 cc range and flow in the 215 cfm range, this will satisfy most all 273/318 engines for street/strip use. With heads of this type they will be able to turn 6,000+ RPM's on the small engine with ease. The only reasons that they won't will be due to under carburetion, under intake'd, under cam'd or not enough exhaust flow. Obviously springs will have a direct effect also but I included this with the cam as most will change the springs when they change the cam. This pretty much gives a general dos and don'ts for the small engines.

Now for the 340/360 engines:

The 340 and 360 will be covered together just as the 273/318 engines were. Once again the same will apply for the 340 engine just as the 318 mods applied for the 273 engine. A good 340/360 engine shouldn't need more than 160/168 cc's of intake port volume and 250 cfm's of air flow. More airflow is a plus but not at the cost of a larger port runner.

Even though the strokes are different in the 340 and the 360, the rod length is the same. The piston speeds are different but the port can remain the same and this is why. On the 340 engine you should use the 1.88 intake valve to keep the port velocity up in the larger runner. The same modifications that were done to the 318 heads will apply here also. A good 340 head with the 1.88 valve should flow in the 235/240 range @ .500 lift and 160+ @ .200 lift if the port is properly done. The same air flow will apply to the 360 engine. The specs stated above would be a very good street/strip head and would satisfy most 340/360 engines.

There is no need for a 2.02 valve until you're racing at high RPM's above 6500. The valve size is just too large for any low RPM engine, and bottom end TQ and throttle response will be suffer.

With the air flow stated above, the 340/360 should be capable of making over 550 HP. The need for more than this will result in you spending big $$$$ and won't be very streetable. Anything more than this would be considered race only.

Just for reference for stroker engines, a 318/349 engine would use the 160 cc 1.88/1.60 valve 340/360 head. And the 360/408 engine would need a 180/185 cc head and air flow in the 280/290 range or more with a 2.02 intake valve and a 1.625 exhaust valve.

In any case, the intake to exhaust port flow ratio should be kept to 70% for best results. Superflow states that anything above 60% won't really be noticed in a street or drag engine. Ratios above 80 and 90% have been seen and only help high RPM engines like NASCAR where high efficient exhaust flows are needed to make HP at 9,000+ RPM's. Obviously heads like this aren't cheap or useable for street use.

Engine SizeUsagePort CCHead Flow CFMValve SizeIntakeExhaust273/318Street118-124190-2051.78/1.50M-1 Dual Plane
or Edelbrock RPM1-5/8"
38-40" length273/318Strip124-134210-2301.78/1.60M-1 Single Plane
or Victor/Super Victor1-3/4" - 1-7/8"
34-36" length
3" outlet340/360Street150-155200-2151.88/1.60M-1 Dual Plane
or Edelbrock RPM1-5/8"
38-40" length340/360Strip160-168230-2501.88/1.625M-1 Single Plane
or Victor/Super Victor 1-7/8" - 2"
30-34" length
3" outlet

Hopefully this will help you street enthusiasts and weekend racers better understand how to get more out of you engine.​
</H3>

thats worthless, rule of thumb is double head cfm, for max HP output, 250cfm head = 500hp and thats if everything else is way up to snuff, most real engine builders would want even more than that 250cfm to assure 500hp i know i would ! his example of 235/240 cfm making over 550hp is a joke. not even going to get into the 2.02 valve thing.

Is there a few engines making over 550 HP with a head that flows 235cfm? Maybe, but what HP do you think it would make if you slapped some 295cfm heads on it?

http://bjrracing.com/index.htm here you go. here is their link it's called BJR Racing engines and head service. the article is called small block tech

http://bjrracing.com/index.htm here you go. here is their link it's called BJR Racing engines and head service. the article is called small block tech
there you go dakota boy. Give them a call ask him about toes.

there you go dakota boy. Give them a call ask him about toes.
I had read this and just wanted to post it on here to see if it could be true.

HOLY ****!!!!!! glad you posted that... Thats why I posted the article to see if it was true or if anybody had done any buisness with them. Thanks. Jim

HOLY **** is right, my *** still hurts from this BUTCHER!

Stay away from this guy he talks a good game and that is all he does, RUNS HIS MOUTH!

Personally, I like BJR's article! NOW NOW, PUT DOWN THAT STONE ......atleast until i have finished:read2:

I think it is vary informitive................I don't agree with favoring a 1.88 over a 2.02(for torque) and the HP numbers are HIGH.

But, in general, it was informative, not accurate, but informative.

As far as BJR and his shop. I would NOT us him. Read "Mad Darts" thread that was posted above and make your own decision!:cheers:

Goes to show stick with reputable shops and proven people who know what they are doing. I too have felt the sting of promises that are bullshit! Stick with the gut if its too good to be true then usually it is! That is what a website like this is about, measure twice cut once so to speak!

Goes to show stick with reputable shops and proven people who know what they are doing. I too have felt the sting of promises that are bullshit! Stick with the gut if its too good to be true then usually it is! That is what a website like this is about, measure twice cut once so to speak!

Agreed!

What sucks about it is it takes at least 1 Victim to prove that a guy is FOS. Hey at least a few guys on this site that were going to use this CRACKHEAD have chose not to do so from the information that I have provided! I saved a few guys from a Headache, Heart Attack, Stroke, JAIL TIME and a few bucks in the process!

At least a few GOOD things have come of it!

I got this off their website. Is he saying that you don't need high dollar heads to get 400 plus HP and TQ. ?<H3>

Every dyno test I have seen on the 360 / 380 HP Magnum crate motors from Mopar Performance has them making at least 410 HP with a little tuning (even the 300 HP versions are making 320+ when dyno'd). These motors came with stock magnum heads with the stock 1.92 Intake valves and 1.625 exhaust valves.

So I would agree you don't need high dollar heads to make 400+ HP with a 360.

maddart i read the ripped off thread and it really sucks. i feel for you. i know all about spending hard earned money on crap. looks like garage machining with a hand grinder.did you get your money back?if not i would sue.our hobby is not cheap and work like that makes it harder on all of us to trust people.again i feel for you. i could not even laugh at your pics. i would advise anyone to NEVER send work or LISTEN to anything this individual posts.

thats worthless, rule of thumb is double head cfm, for max HP output, 250cfm head = 500hp and thats if everything else is way up to snuff, most real engine builders would want even more than that 250cfm to assure 500hp i know i would ! his example of 235/240 cfm making over 550hp is a joke. not even going to get into the 2.02 valve thing.

I agree. I know when I swapped 360 heads with 2.02 intakes on my 318, motor seemed to make more power everywhere. Up highier rpms of course but also lower rpms it pulled better.

Did you every look and see how small those 302 head ports are?

Well I guess Ford screwed up with their big port-large valve Boss 302 engine. So did Chevy with their 327. Those motors would had ran so much better with smaller ports and valves, ha ha

Wwwweeellllllll, actuallyyyyyyyyy...........

It is proven that the small port heads make more power down low. Of course, there are examples of the opposite all the time. Hell, I have 302 heads on my 390, blah blah, yadda yadda, I'm dumb and all, but ****, it runs real well.

If you have a cam, that starts pulling at like 3K, then you'll never notice the bennies of having small ports, if you have, say, a stock 340 cam in a 318...... and a stock TC, wellllllll, you'll feel them big ports for sure....

Oh, and, BTW, in the lower RPM, the 302boss, and little chubby smallblocks suffer greatly. Hell, a 3182bbl runs better in a truck than any stock 327. (HD 327's came with a necked down 2bbl in some applications, the intake ports were much smaller than the head ports, also the SP2P was made for chubby smallblocks to grab some torque down low. Whats that tell ya?

One of many things to look at, (like a store front) is the website. His website is an indication of "small hobbie" type work. Don't get me wrong, the best machinist may not have the best site but I look at the whole package and his site is not impressive.

What happened to you is a crime!! Hope it all works out.

HOLY **** is right, my *** still hurts from this BUTCHER!

Stay away from this guy he talks a good game and that is all he does, RUNS HIS MOUTH!

HAHA! I remember that thread. Started off innocent enough and then blossomed into a real gem from there.

Mister Mad Dart speaks from some harrowing experience.:-D

Something wrong with that picture for sure! I have always thought this and voiced my opinion but nothing ever came of it.

I'm quite suprised to see him back on here posting after all of what transpired with the head deal, I assumed he was banned form here :dontknow:

-
Back