Black Out Hood Decal

-

flyintiger

Morden, Mb. Canada
Reaction score
I'm just getting ready to repaint my 1974 Dart Sport that has the dual snorkel hood scoops. I've seen cars with about half the hood under the scoops that had originally the black decal underneath. Any idea if these are still available from some supplier? I've heard some people paint them on, but I'd prefer the decal.

decalhood.jpg

I see them on EBay from time to time. I did a quick search and found them
at Hardens Muscle Car World for $162.00. I plan to put them on my 1973
Dart Sport when I install my dual snorkel scoop.

I just went to EBay and looked again and found them. They are item
#400045530840 and the cost is only $115.00. They are sold by
Performance Car Graphics.

pm challengergary i bet he will make some for you for cheaper then that!! especialy if you get him during a sale they are like 25-35 bucks:)

pm challengergary i bet he will make some for you for cheaper then that!! especialy if you get him during a sale they are like 25-35 bucks:)
Thanks for the info on the hood decal. I think I'll try challengergary as I already have him making up the over the roof stripe for me.

Actually I do not offer these yet. That is one of the reasons Al has posted this question. I can easily duplicate them with some proper dimensions.

If you use the decal be sure ask if it is a one piece. We ordered one and it was a two piece with a seam behind the scoop on the hood. We didn't like that so we just painted it on. Looks a lot nicer.
Good luck on your car.
Here's a pic of the painted one.

DSCF1669.jpg

DSCF1682.jpg

Another thing, if you buy the decal you still have to paint the cowl, that's another thing to consider.

Another thing, if you buy the decal you still have to paint the cowl, that's another thing to consider.
Thanks for the help on this decal issue. I'll be talking to my body and paint guy next week and see what he has to say regarding paint vs decal. I had never thought about having to paint the cowl anyway.

I bought the decal initially but when I saw it was 2 picece plus it's advertised as having cowl piece but all it is, is the outter stripe and the center still having to be painted I was afraid it wouldn't all match up.

I bought the decal initially but when I saw it was 2 picece plus it's advertised as having cowl piece but all it is, is the outter stripe and the center still having to be painted I was afraid it wouldn't all match up.

Your car looks GREAT with that scoop and black-out treatment on the hood.

Re-learning everything I forgot about A-bodies... was that treatment for Darts only, or was there something similar for Dusters for '73? And the Darts didn't have that scoop in '73 did they? I've seen where the Dusters can sometimes look a little awkward with that scoop if it's not placed just right. You're is spot-on. I've got a Lemon Twist '73, and am waffling between the scoop/black on hood and stripes, or original white body stripes and interior.

-Brad

I know some, not all 73 Dart Sports had the scoop, and I had a 74 in high school that one of my dad's friends bought new and it had it also, it had the holes in the hood from factory, it was a 360 car, nd I personally like the white side stripe with the black hood treatment, Mopar did things like that in the 70s

I know some, not all 73 Dart Sports had the scoop, and I had a 74 in high school that one of my dad's friends bought new and it had it also, it had the holes in the hood from factory, it was a 360 car, nd I personally like the white side stripe with the black hood treatment, Mopar did things like that in the 70s
Talked to my paint guy today and its looking like we'll be painting on the matte black hood finish. More confusion on my red color. Going back to original FE5 red, but doing some research, I got confused. Some places its called Rallye Red and others Bright Red. Is this actually the same color?

Rallye Red is the plymouth name for E5, and Bright Red is the Dodge name for E5 they are the same color.

1973-dodge-sm.jpg

1973-plymouth-sm.jpg

not trying to hi jack but could you post or pm me the colors for the 70 duster val. i think its call dark bronze or some thing like that id likr to repaint my car back the factory color 1 day.. thanks

Rallye Red is the plymouth name for E5, and Bright Red is the Dodge name for E5 they are the same color.
Thanks for the info. I guess it being a Dart Sport would mean that Bright Red it is. This must be the greatest forum ever with the most helpful members. Making my first restoration a lot more fun.

-
Back