Black Widow HVLP Spray Gun

-

Car Nut

Mopar Master
Reaction score
Has anybody used the Black Widow Professional HVLP Gravity Feed Air Spray Gun sold by Harbor freight? What are your thoughts?

IMG_4658.jpeg

I use the 20$ purple HVLP gun from harbor freight and it’s worked well enough. Used it on a few engine compartments. Curious about the black widow one myself.

I use the 20$ purple HVLP gun from harbor freight and it’s worked well enough. Used it on a few engine compartments. Curious about the black widow one myself.
That's because it is a China knockoff. A good one. My friend's body shop keeps a few of them new in box for when his good gun is down or shooting more than one car at a time. So he can shoot one thing walk next car an shoot again for no down time. Seen him shoot 3 jobs same time one to next, to next.
He has shot many a candy job with purple guns. He stocks House Of Color he shoots it so much.

It's got a snappy name. How can it be bad?

Primer. I bought a used Satajet 5000rb 1.3 for base and clear that was used once.
It looks as if it offers either two different fluid tips or two different guns. I would make sure you get the correct one for your primer. It shows 1.7 and a 1.3.

It looks as if it offers either two different fluid tips or two different guns. I would make sure you get the correct one for your primer. It shows 1.7 and a 1.3.
Do you think the 1.7 would be great for primer? There’s a HTE and HVLP.

IMG_4664.jpeg

IMG_4665.jpeg

Do you think the 1.7 would be great for primer? There’s a HTE and HVLP.

View attachment 1716095281

View attachment 1716095282
It really depends on the primer, and size of the jobs. I paint cars for a living and use a 3m spray gun for primer and sealers that has disposable air cap and fluid tip sets. I generally am only priming small repair spots and I use 1.2 tip for primer and sealer. The smaller the tip the more atomization you get. It will lay primer and sealer very smooth but they tend to be a bit slower than a larger tip size. One bad thing about larger tips is you generally need to increase pressure to help atomize heavy primers... and you do that two ways (reducer,and air pressure). Reducing primer somewhat defeats the purpose of primer.... but you can add more coats... and cranking air pressure reduces your transfer efficiency. Usually over the rated psi for the gun and your transfer efficiency goes below 60%.

I think for a home hobbiest the 1.7 would be fine for primer especially if you're doing large areas like full panels. It would also be fairly decent at spraying a polyester primer.

-
Back