Blank Ammo Question

-

gunbunny

Reaction score
Asking because I truly have no clue of the answer so, I'll ask you guys.
I came across about 1000+ blank ammo rounds.
All are 30.06 and WWII era. All for M-1 Garand or 1903 Springfield rifles.
Do these things have any value?
Are they useful for reloader's or is the powder of any value?
They look like the pic below.
I ran a few thru a M-1 and had a 50/50 success rate on them firing. Mostly they made noise and made the rifle dirty.
Just not sure what I want to do with them going forward.
Let me know what you think.

blank.jpg

I'm sure somebody values them but selling 1k to a single person might be a challenge. you might check with the local VFW if they have need for blanks. I'm not sure what powder was used in these so pulling them down to salvage components would be iffy. Maybe break them into 50 or 100 round lots and sell on Gunbroker. You have to ship from a UPS main depot though to be legal. No USPS and no UPS store.

Are they loose or in boxes?

Those are probably berdan primed and are all but useless for reloading. I have drilled and converted some berdan primers just to see if I could and I was successful but as cheap and plentiful as 06 brass is its not worth it lol. Those are a really cool keepsake and collection piece tho. I would like to have a few hundred of them.

I'm sure somebody values them but selling 1k to a single person might be a challenge. you might check with the local VFW if they have need for blanks. I'm not sure what powder was used in these so pulling them down to salvage components would be iffy. Maybe break them into 50 or 100 round lots and sell on Gunbroker. You have to ship from a UPS main depot though to be legal. No USPS and no UPS store.

Are they loose or in boxes?
Loose.
Came from an American Legion. They no longer use this type and went to a crimped type blank. These are old.
I only took them because I wanted the ammo can.
I don't want to toss them in the trash for safety reasons, don't really want to bury them either.

I have read that those old .30-06 brass blanks is thinner due to the lower pressures and not wanted for reloading
As far as throwing In The trash.?
My local PD will take obsolete/old ammo for disposal. The officer comes and takes it. Packages it. Puts in station property room.
From there, it gets transferred to the main property room. Then, when the next transport day to the county incinerator happens the ammo is then taken With narcotics, etc to the county landfill and incinerated. Patrol guys hate it because ....
If you throw it in your trash. It’s taken To the landfill and incinerated.
Waste of time for feel-good reasons
Not sure how your particular area does trash/etc

or just fire it off and take to scrap

You could throw a few in your bonfires and get people’s attention! Really not sure what to tell you there. As old as it is, I’m not sure I’d want to shoot it.

Save em
Then take the biggest largemouth you know to the range, and let him shoot em

See if he can hit the broad side of a barn with em

The mouth looks like they have a large roll crimp on the plastic plug which would make them useless to reload even if they are regular cases I would either shoot them to get rid of them or see if they have any collector value

Asking because I truly have no clue of the answer so, I'll ask you guys.
I came across about 1000+ blank ammo rounds.
All are 30.06 and WWII era. All for M-1 Garand or 1903 Springfield rifles.
Do these things have any value?
Are they useful for reloader's or is the powder of any value?
They look like the pic below.
I ran a few thru a M-1 and had a 50/50 success rate on them firing. Mostly they made noise and made the rifle dirty.
Just not sure what I want to do with them going forward.
Let me know what you think.

View attachment 1715707488

You could set up a cool rube-goldberg machine with some guns just for ***** and giggles.
a grown up cap gun if you will.

Someone will want them. Ceremonial or for movies. Or maybe a cartridge collector. Depending the headstamp and type of blank, they also may know where there is a market.
For use with a non-bolt action they need to be used with the matching blank adapter.
This guy successfully sold some.
FS: 5.56 & 30.06 Blanks - CMP Forums

Blank adapters - CMP Forums

Last edited:
-
Back