Blank tie rod adjusting sleeves

-

synchro66

Reaction score
I need to link an M14-2.0 p/steer rack rod thread to a 9/16 UNF outer tie rod thread for the Rack and pinion conversion i am doing. Do any manufacturers sell blank sleeves that i could tap myself , or do custom thread mismatches such as these on request
TIA

So your rack and pinion has an M14-2.0 threaded shaft and you need a female outer tie rod end to go from that to the stock steering arm on the lower ball joint?

Like this?
3CC1491F-68EC-46F2-A733-6A2EFB7225A6.jpeg

Just a thought, but the steering arm doesn’t care about the UNF thread. It just needs a 7° taper and somewhat close start and stop diameters. 9/16” is ~14.2 mm, so a tie rod end with a m14 thread and a 7° taper would still probably seat, and I imagine a tie rod end with both metric dimensions would be easier to find.

Your other option would be a heim conversion using a tapered tie rod adapter. These are used with bump steer correction kits. In this case the “pinto” version has a 9/16” thread and 7° taper like the Mopar parts…

Adjustable Tie-Rod Adapter Stud to Heim

6955F1C2-2179-4E69-B05C-12FCDA94C5D7.jpeg

Then you’d just need an m14-2.0 heim with the right end bore, or even one that could use a sleeve to match the adapter stud.

Thanks 72bluNblu for your reply...just wanted to make sure we're on the same page.... the male thread from my rack is m14-2.0. The Tie Rod end on the right is female with m14-2.0 thread ...so all good. The issue here is as you can see the taper is wrong and you can see the "high tide" mark as to its maximum seating position. The obvious fix here, would be to ream out the steering arm to suit. I have approached 3 different machine shops in my town here in OZ and all three have said they don't have the correct reamer and didn't seem to want to help. OK so the Rod end on the right has the correct taper, but is a male 9/16" thread. I thought that given all this ,...a blank sleeve might be the solution , as i can cut and appropriate thread in each end and "voila"...problem solved. BTW i have checked Moog's site and in their rod end specs page, there is no such beast. Just thought you might have had someone in the US who made blank sleeves. If not my only option is to buy a length of Hexagonal steel stock, drill it out and tap in the appropriate threads at each end. Hope all this makes sense lol
Cheers
Bruce

Tie Rods.JPG

Thanks 72bluNblu for your reply...just wanted to make sure we're on the same page.... the male thread from my rack is m14-2.0. The Tie Rod end on the right is female with m14-2.0 thread ...so all good. The issue here is as you can see the taper is wrong and you can see the "high tide" mark as to its maximum seating position. The obvious fix here, would be to ream out the steering arm to suit. I have approached 3 different machine shops in my town here in OZ and all three have said they don't have the correct reamer and didn't seem to want to help. OK so the Rod end on the right has the correct taper, but is a male 9/16" thread. I thought that given all this ,...a blank sleeve might be the solution , as i can cut and appropriate thread in each end and "voila"...problem solved. BTW i have checked Moog's site and in their rod end specs page, there is no such beast. Just thought you might have had someone in the US who made blank sleeves. If not my only option is to buy a length of Hexagonal steel stock, drill it out and tap in the appropriate threads at each end. Hope all this makes sense lol
Cheers
Bruce

View attachment 1716079361

Yup, that's what I was thinking.

Ok, so you aren't going to find the right tie rod end already made, so that leaves you a few options, each with their own issues. 9/16" is ~14.3mm, so, you can't re-thread a female 9/16" tie rod end because the inner diameter is already too big. So then you have the custom hex tube adaptor, which is a pretty good option. The only problem I see with that is that you'll need LH taps, but they're out there.

The other option is to use the tie-rod adaptor stud I linked above, with a 14mm female heim joint. The only issue with that is the adaptor stud has 9/16" threads, and all the 14mm female heim joints I'm finding have a 14mm bore also. But the 9/16" thread is 14.3mm, which should be enough rethread as a 14mm. So you could buy the female 14mm heims and the tie rod adaptor studs and have the studs rethreaded at 14mm on the end for the heim. That would also give you bump steer adjustability, which you will probably need if you're going from a rack to stock Chrysler steering arms in any configuration. I suppose you could also ream the bore of the heim out to 14.3mm, but it would probably be easier to rethread the stud.

Screenshot 2023-04-18 at 10.01.02 AM.png

Don't forget one is right hand thread and the other is left hand tread. Otherwise the sleeves wouldn't work depending on what combination you are using.

I bought a bunch of aluminum, hexagon tie rod blanks from Speedway Motors, on clearance on Ebay, a few years ago. I think they were made by AFCO. They were gold anodized. Ended up getting the taps on ebay and bought a handful of lock nuts from Speedway as well.

EDIT In hind sight, they weren't blanks but they are very long and I can cut them down and retap them to whatever size I like. Looks like they have some 5/8" versions left on their garage sale section, but all of the 1/2" and 11/16" are gone.
Good luck!

Yup, that's what I was thinking.

Ok, so you aren't going to find the right tie rod end already made, so that leaves you a few options, each with their own issues. 9/16" is ~14.3mm, so, you can't re-thread a female 9/16" tie rod end because the inner diameter is already too big. So then you have the custom hex tube adaptor, which is a pretty good option. The only problem I see with that is that you'll need LH taps, but they're out there.

The other option is to use the tie-rod adaptor stud I linked above, with a 14mm female heim joint. The only issue with that is the adaptor stud has 9/16" threads, and all the 14mm female heim joints I'm finding have a 14mm bore also. But the 9/16" thread is 14.3mm, which should be enough rethread as a 14mm. So you could buy the female 14mm heims and the tie rod adaptor studs and have the studs rethreaded at 14mm on the end for the heim. That would also give you bump steer adjustability, which you will probably need if you're going from a rack to stock Chrysler steering arms in any configuration. I suppose you could also ream the bore of the heim out to 14.3mm, but it would probably be easier to rethread the stud.

View attachment 1716079485
OK ...looks like problem solved. I can buy a pair of inner rack ends which fit the current rack, but which have lengthened, female blank ends. ...i can then tap a 9/16 thread on the end, which will now marry up to my correct tapered outer rod end. Cheers and Thanks heaps for all your input.

-
Back