Blast Masters! I need your help.

-

autopar3000

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

My 1970 rallye dash was painted a couple of decades ago, and it's starting to look a little rough. I want to give it a repaint, but I'd like to try and get the old paint off first.

Obviously I don't want to destroy the plastic, especially the shapes and text that is molded into the plastic (i.e. the words "LIGHTS" and "WIPERS" and the like.)

I'm not sure if it's even possible to blast that type of plastic without destroying it, but if it is possible, what blast media would I want to use?

Thanks!
-Mike

Send it to Chrome Tech USA. Will come back looking just like the day it was sold new.
2314 Ravenwood Rd.
Madison, WI 53711
608-274-9811

Mine turned out great!!
tk

Send it to Chrome Tech USA. Will come back looking just like the day it was sold new.
2314 Ravenwood Rd.
Madison, WI 53711
608-274-9811

Mine turned out great!!
tk

Can you post pics??

OP if you were to do it yourself, try baking soda, low psi at first. A member "Badsport" has a thread on his homemade one.

I think I would try lye first, like the original formula in Easy Off oven cleaner. I don't think it will harm plastic.

Hey Guys,

My 1970 rallye dash was painted a couple of decades ago, and it's starting to look a little rough. I want to give it a repaint, but I'd like to try and get the old paint off first.

Obviously I don't want to destroy the plastic, especially the shapes and text that is molded into the plastic (i.e. the words "LIGHTS" and "WIPERS" and the like.)

I'm not sure if it's even possible to blast that type of plastic without destroying it, but if it is possible, what blast media would I want to use?

Thanks!
-Mike

just as 68gtxman said I'd go to lye first (easy-off Original yellow top)
I peeled quite a few layers of paint and chrome off of my bezels without damaging the lettering in the plastic.

from this shape

View attachment DSCF3771.jpg

to this
View attachment DSCF3763.jpg

to this from a chrome "spray" pro.
View attachment -0846.jpg

View attachment -0843.jpg
make sure the guy is a real pro and not just starting out. (first guy was a beginner and I had to peel 5 layers off the radio bezel to get it redone.)

yeah don't blast plastics, especially any that will be chromed. The chrome amplifies any and all imperfections. Once you chemical strip a inst' bezel you should find a mirror slick surface, where chromed anyway. I have 30 gallons of Welseys bleach-white in a custom soak tank but that's about repeated use. 11 rally bezels to date. The oven cleaner does work.

Alright! Looks like I'm going out to get some over cleaner today. When I get around to the work I'll take some pics and create a thread. Thanks guys.

Alright! Looks like I'm going out to get some over cleaner today. When I get around to the work I'll take some pics and create a thread. Thanks guys.

I've tried all the "value brands" that you can get to see if they work also since they are about 1/2 the price... nope not a one of them from krogers,iga, winn dixie,walmart ,target or kmart worked.. so either go with the original heavy duty Easy Off yellow top (blue top easyoff doesn't work either) or go to a "draino"(red devil too) crystal lye solution. easy off is slower but a lot gentler on the plastic than the "draino" lye which is a lot stronger and faster if you submerge the part in the liquid.

Thanks 66DVert, I would probably have tried the value brands!
not a problem, I tried it (being cheap) and when they didn't work I tried another and another ect. spent 3-4 times as much trying to use the cheapies instead of biting the bullet and getting the good stuff like everyone on the spray chroming forum said. now I know to just get the original.

-
Back