Bleeding brakes....

-

triggerjay

Reaction score
What is everyones opinions on the speedbleeders?? I currently have two brake jobs at hand, both at the same point. On the duster, I have bled and bled,... also used a mighty vac,.... and still very little brakes. The entire system is new with the exception of the lines/hoses. My second project is my neighbors 47 Willys truck. Same scenario. Bled and bled. Pedal will go to floor first time. you can pump it up, and feel pressure.. but let it sit a few, and its to the floor again. All new parts on it too. I bench bled both MC's... I had my wife and child help me with the duster by depressing the pedal,... but still cannot get adequate brakes. I did not know if anyone here has used the speedbleeders to eliminate the risk of error due to the helping hand,,... or foot rather. In my opinion, the mighty vac is junk,.... or my ability to use it sucks!. When bleeding, do you slowly depress the pedal? or jam it down hard? I must still have air trapped in both systems.

Triggerjay

Slowly on the pedal, but if the hoses are old they may be a source of some of the problem. New master cylinder may also be bad.

I use the Mighty Vac all the time to pull old fluid out of the system and replace with new or when I replace a lot of lines, it works real well for that purpose.

I also have a hose with a one way check valve on the end that I slip over the bleeder which works great when I am by my self.

Couple of tips;
1. If the brakes are drum make sure the adjusters have the shoes out against the drum, minimizes the motion in the wheel cylinder allowing a pump of the pedal to move more fluid.

2. Always start in the right rear, move to the left rear, then right front and finish off with the left front.

3. Pump the brakes up with a quick smooth motion until you have a pedal. When your helper opens the bleeder push the pedal to the floor with the same smooth motion. Once the bledder is closed all the pedal to return slowly.

-
Back