-

440superduster

Reaction score
Well the 440 in my duster blew ( block still good I hope ) up need some ideas
1. do I buy a 500 wedge from mopar
2. buy all the componest from hughes
3. order a complete coustom

looking for above 500 hp.

If I go with option 2 will Eldbrock performer heads work with the herb McLandles headers I have & is a .660 soild roller to much cam.

I like the 472 my self [ offset ground 440 crank to 3.90 stroke] it's a torque monster that LIKES TO REV.
Sounds like it would go well with your lead foot.lol

Or you can try these guys for a stroker kit. http://www.440source.com/ I've never used them myself (Demon has a smallblock) but I've only read good things about them. A friend of mine bought their aluminum heads and is satisfied with them in his Challenger.

from 440source.com and go with one of there kits.They have rotating assemblies from 500 ci-543 cubes,and complete with ballancing for less than $2000.00.They also have there own heads now,72 ccs,and flow @280 cfm out of the box.

I have 2 motors at the machine shop and one ina car that are 440 source stroker kits. nice stuff. 1 is a 438 from a 383 and the other 2 are 500's from a 440. Good rotating assemblies on pump gas.

for 500 hp, you only need to think two choices.. One, milder and bigger, or two, snottier and stock displacement. Something to remember, bigger heads are a must to get hp from a large displacement. 500hp is a 440 with decent compression and a big cam or combination of head work and cam. 500hp from a 505 is better heads and that same big cam, only it idles like a kitten. You have to be prepared to buy bigger carbs and preferably run headers. You may find in both cases 440Source products to be a good fit. They are not perfect, and will usually neeed a little work to be made "good", but the value is excellent. I've personally used 5 of his kits in customers' engines from 451 to 512". All five needed something. But all five run great and were much less than others. Brandon does his best to take care of his customers.

heres my 500 with ez,s 585 lift solid roller 4.15 stroker crank and flattops from 440 source. should make 570 to 600 horse

IN general how much grinding is needed inside the block to make the 512 kit work . any recomdatons on lift size

If you go with Chevy pin (rod bearing diameter) size, and the 440Source rod, almost nothing or nothing.

The combo I have decided on is a 440source 512 kit , .660 comp cam roller rockers Torqer 2 intake 850 double pumper 125 shot nos 3800 convertor 3.91 gears the only piece of the puzzle is heads . I know that the 440 stealth head cnc ported will fit, but I would like to use indy heads.
If anyone sees something wrong with this set up let me know .

Is that the RB kit? I would not go that large in the B block. It's killer, but short lived IMO. That 512 is for a .060 over bore. This should not be done. I would sonic test any block for a project like that, and start at std bore. With a .030 overbore the kit is really a 505 :). If you are going with a cam of that design anf that size, bush the lifter bores and I would not go MW size, I would have the std port window CNC ported by Jeff at Modern Cylinder Head in MI. He has a killer program for them, and the intake choices are much better. Also, make sure the rods are correctly cycled and then checked for roundness, and the crank is inspected carefully for taper. The rods will need work, and they will need the pin bores honed for the pins to fit properly. (no, dont use emery like Brandon says) and have your shop balance the assembly properly.

IN general how much grinding is needed inside the block to make the 512 kit work . any recomdatons on lift size

no more than a 4.15 kit. Notch the bottom of each cylinder , and take a little off the oil pickup tube boss. Very easy to do.

The 440Source stuff is GREAT. I use a bunch of their parts including the 4.15 kit.

Their parts have a great rep so far - Ive been watching them since around 02 or so.

When i had my block machined, i had the machinist look over the kit . Everything looked excellent in quality , he just had to hone the rods for the pins a little .

My buddy has their stroker kit as well, his cuda goes 9.20's with Eddy heads and a 620 solid cam (went 9.12 with a new roller .620) , 12.5:1 CR i think .

Sorry 440, I've been away for a few days... I got your PM, but I'll answer here if that's ok... Yes, this is a longgg one...lol.

The 'Source parts are great value. That means for the dollar spent, you get a lot. Brandon stepped up where no one else would and did a lot of research to figure out what mopar guys needed, then how he could make money filling those needs. I have personally assembled 4 kits, and been paid for machining another 2. There are issues in most cases, if the person measuring is picky enough. I'm careful here, becasue there is no real right or wrong once you are inside the factory specs, it's subjective by the builder. So, with that.. Here's what I found. (I also will say, the last kit I used was last summer)
The rods... They are not pin honed to fit the piston pin in the bushing properly. Instructions are included that say to use emery cloth or snadpaper to lightly buff off enough material so the pin slides in. liken that to using a wood rasp as the last surface finishing tool on a counter top. If you stand back enough, it will look flat enough. If the pin fits thru, there must be the right amount of oil clearance. The proper method is to use the right type of hone to size the entire bore correctly and leave the correct finish for the oil to do it's job. The big ends of the rods come finished. My issue was the oil used on the ARP bolts/capscrews...It is standard oil. I think 30wt. But they are torqued to a lower spec than ARP literature says to for 30wt oil. Also, they are not cycled when the bolts are installed. Cycling stretches the fastener a few times, and distorts the rod and cap a few times, and then after this process they will always return to the same shape when retorqued to that figure. Then the big end should be honed to the proper size. 'Source rods when you get them and cycle them, then torque them to ARP spec with the ARP lube provided, the big ends go out of round. For some builders, that is not a big deal. For me, it is.
Balancing... The technique that was described by randon to me is not good enough for me. Equalizing weights in sets of rods means very little, unless you equalize the weights of the ends seperately. He doesnt, and they are not good enough to be that way strictly by production. So I don't let them balance the kits.
Cranks... I have seen them measure perfect, and I've foudn tem to be off (too large). And that's using a micrometer to measure. The radii are too large IMO, and the way the cranks are polished is wrong. It removes too much material and the surface gets wavey. This may not be seen with a micrometer.. but take it to a crank grinder and have him measure it with his Arnold gage. I can also see the issue when looking at the way light reflects accross the journal. Again, some guys find them fine, some find the ok, some demand they be fixed or replaced. I have yet to have one turned. but that has meant I have not had the clearances I wanted in every case either.

I do believe Brandon does take an active role in quality control. He has offered to exchange parts before. But he's in CA and I'm in CT. It has been a year, so hopefully some has been addressed. From what I saw with the heads, I would say he's getting better, but still doesnt go to the lengths I'd want to see before I say use them without very close inspection. I budget an extra $150 for the rod work, and even with the grinding if needed, the cranks are still cheaper than the next step up. Also, Ohio Crank, Scat, Eagle, all have the same issues to differing extents.

talked with ken from hensley motorsports today he said the 440-1 heads would not work with my headers but the 440ez's would but thier might have to be some clearancing on the tubes for the plugs to clear.
How much power will I lose if I use the stealth heads .

Hard to guess really. I havent run any of Brandon's heads. But you'll have more intake choices with the std port opening. The bigger engines can really use that bigger port.

OK heres the build .30 over 440 4.25 stroke all parts from 440 source cnc ported stealth heads roller rockers eldbrock torquer II intake 850 double pumper hyd roller comp cam .575 lift 282 duration .

Dos eanybody see a problem with this . let me know

-
Back