Blinkers, Dash, and Brake light problems. 1974 Scamp

-
Reaction score
This is all on a 1974 Plymouth Scamp

The dash lights (and the overhead light and the other lights that are supposed to light the car when you open the door) work on and off randomly.

The blinkers do not work at all (the hazard lights do though)

Brake lights work but if I switch a blinker on (try to anyways) that side brake light turns off.

Is this all due to loose wires?

signal switch is supposed to interupt the brake light circuit to the side selected. The signal switch is working properly. The signal flasher may be the problem. It should be located on the side of the ashtray hanger. Emergany flasher is seperate and located on the steering column support. Dome lamp working intermitently is probably the switch in the door jamb. Hope this helps.

Do I have to remove anything on the dashboard (or under it) like the ac and heater vents?

I crawled and looked and even tried a mirror but I couldn't find the signal flasher anywhere.

I don't know... But I would love it if someone had any Ideas why the dash lights would be dead. Everything else works on my car... Just not the dashlights. I'm going to try and find the problem tomorrow and I'll let you know what the problem was on mine.

BTW... Did you check the fuses? Just throwing that out there.

I checked the fuses a couple were missing and one was blown (and then wrapped in tin foil)

I have no clue where they all go to because I don't have the original owners manual.

PS Whoever did the work before I got the car also used a bottle cap for a washer. haha

If the 73 and 74 are the same the signal flasher is a round plastic and light blue color. Remove the ashtray and see if you can see it on the right side of the ashtray hanger. You could lower the a/c vent assembly. A deep well socket , 7/16 I think, up in 2 holes from the bottom between the vents, Remove those 2 nuts.
The dash lights get their power from the headlight switch.

I finally got it out thanks to RedFish!

Now I just have to go get the replacement and hopefully that is that for the blinkers.

You can see the signal flasher on the side
ashtraylighterlight.jpg
I have the whole ash tray assembly with the signal flasher on it.

I would replace all the bulbs while your at it. I had a problem on my 67 barracuda. the turn signals would work on the right side but not on the left side. Even after I replaced all the bulbs no workie. Then I discovered the contacts on the bulb on the side in question were un-even. Meaning the little (tits) for contacts were not the same. I filed all my bulbs so the contacts were fresh and even. Took care of all my trouble. This of course after living under the dash for a few days and tracing every wire in the circuit. Gotta love those chinese light bulbs the parts stores carry!!!!

John B.

My Dash lights didn't work either. The car had been sitting for 20 some odd years.

I removed the headlight switch and used electrical contact cleaner (lots of it) over the course of several days. It cleaned the contacts and POOF! the dash lights work perfectly now.

I replaced all the bulbs and they all work.

I will go get the signal flasher from autozone in about an hour.

Until then what would cause the speedometer to spin crazily? Would it just be a snapped cable some where?

And does anyone have a pic of the page that shows where each fuse goes to where in the fuse box?

"I checked the fuses a couple were missing and one was blown (and then wrapped in tin foil)"

The "wrapped in tinfoil" is the part I am having a problem with. This most likely means it pulled max. current somewhere along the wire until it found its own fuse. I'd guess you have an open circuit somewhere under the dash and probably a short to ground on the other side of the "open". Get your VOM out and start troubleshooting.... it may take a while. You'll also need a good schematic of your car.

-
Back