Block casting number search

-

yellow rose

Overnight Sensation
Reaction score
Im at the end of my ability to search casting numbers. I have what I believe is an R block. Has a plain R on the front of the number 2 cylinder and an R3 by the bell housing at number 8.

The rest of the block makes ZERO sense.

It's 340 mains, 9.600 deck, 59 degree lifter bank angle but has the bosses for 48 degree LBA.

The lifter valley looks exactly like a magnum, complete with the tapped holes for the HR spider in the cam bearing bulkheads. I know the decks are 1 inch thick, the pan rails are all filled. The only number cast into the block is a P number and I can't track it down.

I suppose this could be a 340 replacement block, but I can't find a P number for that either.

I want to know exactly what I'm working with before I start on it.

Here is the casting number.

P4532435

Any info is much appreciated.

TIA

Everything I just found says it's a 48* 9.2" deck height......including an old thread on this very site.

Everything I just found says it's a 48* 9.2" deck height......including an old thread on this very site.

Thanks Rusty. I didn't even find that. The deck is definitely not 9.2" and the lifter bank angle is 59* but the bosses are there for 48. Let me see if I can find a picture I may have taken of the lifter valley.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
That's the two best picture I have right now. You can see the bosses are there for 48* lifters but they are machined for 59*.

I'm stumped.

I thought that block was getting cleaned, as in at the machine shop.
Six steaks. :D

We need to remember that Mopar Performance casting numbers do not tell the whole story. One casting number was machined several different ways, resulting in several different part numbers. Further complicating this, many parts were machined and sold under a part number that was never stamped into that part, and occasionally one part number would be assigned that matched the casting number.
Does this block have Magnum style engine mount bosses cast in? How about Magnum crank sensor bosses? Siamese bores or water jackets?
Based on the photos and description so far, I think this block predates the Magnum race block, the 340 resto block, and the actual R3 series race blocks. I have a printed copy of the spec sheet for those blocks that would come with them, and this casting number is not listed. I cannot post the casting and part number chart tonight because my phone is a dinosaur. Sorry for the excessively long winded post.

I have no real info on this piece, other than my speculating that it must have been cast after the mid '80s shift to hydraulic-roller capable blocks (LA). The thick-*** deck would allow it to be machined-down to 9.2" deck, but it has the wrong water pump inlet holes (they would have to be the "D" shaped ones to seal if decked that far), so that's out. I think all the MP blocks of that era had the 48*-capable lifter bosses, so if the bore is already over 4", I'd suspect the 340 replacement. I think they offered a sub-3.91" unit as well, for 318 applications. Nice piece, regardless!

I thought that block was getting cleaned, as in at the machine shop.
Six steaks. :D

It is. I was looking it over Thursday and for some reason, I don't know what I started thinking I need to look it over real close.

I want to start at a 4.125 bore of I can. So I looked through a freeze plug hole and it's not a Siamese block. The cylinders are .030 apart. I'll sonic check it later.

Then I started thinking about it and every R3 I've done did NOT have the dry sump lifter valley. Then I started getting nervous. It has an R on the front and an R3 on th bell housing but it's not like any R3 I've done.

Then the panic hit because I tried to find the casting number and not a single book I own has that casting number listed. I do know it may have a part number stamped under the casting number, but I forgot to write it down but I do know when I looked it up, I couldn't find it. Evidently the last 3 digits is what counts.

I'm bummed out now.

We need to remember that Mopar Performance casting numbers do not tell the whole story. One casting number was machined several different ways, resulting in several different part numbers. Further complicating this, many parts were machined and sold under a part number that was never stamped into that part, and occasionally one part number would be assigned that matched the casting number.
Does this block have Magnum style engine mount bosses cast in? How about Magnum crank sensor bosses? Siamese bores or water jackets?
Based on the photos and description so far, I think this block predates the Magnum race block, the 340 resto block, and the actual R3 series race blocks. I have a printed copy of the spec sheet for those blocks that would come with them, and this casting number is not listed. I cannot post the casting and part number chart tonight because my phone is a dinosaur. Sorry for the excessively long winded post.

I'm thinking you're correct. I don't think it's an R3 block like it says. It DOES have the magnum mounts. Forgot to mention that. Rough bored to 3.880 and it has 10 head bolt holes.

No magnum crank sensor bosses.

I think I have the chart too. Somewhere. Damn filing system.

I remember when that block was available, but don’t remember much else about it. With only .030 between the outside of the cylinders, I would be really surprised if it couldn’t take a 4-1/8 inch bore. But I’m right there with you on sonic checking it first, though!

I remember when that block was available, but don’t remember much else about it. With only .030 between the outside of the cylinders, I would be really surprised if it couldn’t take a 4-1/8 inch bore. But I’m right there with you on sonic checking it first, though!

What year did they release this version? I'm racking my brain to think of why I've never seen this before. Trying to remember the years I went to PRI (was going to go this year but that got gut shot) and even there, I don't remember a block with an R3 on it with the LA/wet sump lifter valley in it. Could be I've seen it and didn't pay attention. I hope not.

This is got the makings of another one of Colonel Flags red herrings...:rolleyes:..
Now I'm going to really need a cheeseburger to believe any of this...

There was a transition period in the early days of Chrysler’s return to NASCAR through ARCA racing. Between 89-93 where they were going through the development of a limited run of race team R blocks, then a few hundred over the counter R1 blocks, followed by development of R2 & R3. The MP engine manual I had from around ‘96 covered the different variations in detail. Like you said, “whatever they had around at the time” There were some growing pains in tooling for the new design along with a lot rapid changes going on with development with the new racing programs. Your block was probably cast in the mid ‘92-early ’93 era.

Last edited:
This is got the makings of another one of Colonel Flags red herrings...:rolleyes:..
Now I'm going to really need a cheeseburger to believe any of this...

Yet here YOU are on HIS thread trying to cause problems. While you're always the one saying it's always him first. why caint you just leave it alone, man? Let the guy do "whatever" it is he's gonna do and leave him alone.

It would be interesting to know the background, stuff out of this time frame has a good chance of being owned by someone who was somebody in the racing circuits.

Yet here YOU are on HIS thread trying to cause problems. While you're always the one saying it's always him first. why caint you just leave it alone, man? Let the guy do "whatever" it is he's gonna do and leave him alone.
Yellow rose knows I'm just busting his nuts.. why do you have to come play Champion for him if he has a problem he knows where I'm at or wait a minute...
Wouldn't you find it odd after all these years someone right in your own backyard with R blocks and R three blocks and all the best technical racing advice you've ever heard and so convincingly put you never seen them or ran into them at the track or at a machine shop or body part for them or they bought a part from you off of Craigslist or something? or anywhere?.. just sayin...
We have each other's phone number if it gets desperate he can call.. just like I would call you if the problem got serious LOL..
I'm hard-pressed for any member within a hundred-mile radius of me that I haven't at least talk to for a good while on the phone if not met at the track or bought a part from them on Craigslist or bought a part for me.. just sayin..

Yellow rose knows I'm just busting his nuts.. why do you have to come play Champion for him if he has a problem he knows where I'm at or wait a minute...
Wouldn't you find it odd after all these years someone right in your own backyard with R blocks and R three blocks and all the best technical racing advice you've ever heard and so convincingly put you never seen them or ran into them at the track or at a machine shop or body part for them or they bought a part from you off of Craigslist or something? or anywhere?.. just sayin...
We have each other's phone number if it gets desperate he can call.. just like I would call you if the problem got serious LOL..
I'm hard-pressed for any member within a hundred-mile radius of me that I haven't at least talk to for a good while on the phone if not met at the track or bought a part from them on Craigslist or bought a part for me.. just sayin..

I guess I don't worry about what other people close by here do. At all. I just find it increasingly tiresome that it's almost always you who derails otherwise decent threads around here. Going back on ignore now and I'm not commenting on any of your antics any further. Nor are you coming back off. I gave you three chances. That's enough for me. Too bad too. Because I do think you literally are the embodiment of what hod rodding is all about. Your attitude stinks. Goodbye.

I guess I don't worry about what other people close by here do. At all. I just find it increasingly tiresome that it's almost always you who derails otherwise decent threads around here. Going back on ignore now and I'm not commenting on any of your antics any further. Nor are you coming back off. I gave you three chances. That's enough for me. Too bad too. Because I do think you literally are the embodiment of what hod rodding is all about. Your attitude stinks. Goodbye.
Sayonara Captain Save A Hoe...
Honestly if you look back all you've done in the last month or so is interject BS into my threads for the most part.. if you ask me I have a great attitude I'm willing to meet him for a cheeseburger and let him prove he's human how many chances do I have to give him??!!..

-
Back