Block girdles, yay or nay

-
splayed caps are a no-no for a production block. No meat there.
Can a non splayed 4 bolt cap be used? Wouldn't it be a good idea to have the block align honed and have the entire assembly balanced? One thing that I've never seen on here is having the crankshaft checked for being straight, maybe because that's second nature to you guys. I read earlier on this post about using aluminium main caps? I don't think that is a good idea.

Can a non splayed 4 bolt cap be used? Wouldn't it be a good idea to have the block align honed and have the entire assembly balanced? One thing that I've never seen on here is having the crankshaft checked for being straight, maybe because that's second nature to you guys. I read earlier on this post about using aluminium main caps? I don't think that is a good idea.
Why not on aluminum caps? They act as a cushion if you run into detonation problems. Same thing with aluminum rods

No. 4 bolt caps on a production block are unwise. Gain nothing, and can even effect negatively.
I ran the dog poop out of a 2 bolt X block for years at healthy power levels( X block also came in 4 bolt variety and has the meat to do so) unlike a production block.

Why not on aluminum caps? They act as a cushion if you run into detonation problems. Same thing with aluminum rods

For 90% of the guys using a stock block for a build neither of these are necessary. Money that could be spent towards lighter parts or maybe ice cream.

For 90% of the guys using a stock block for a build neither of these are necessary. Money that could be spent towards lighter parts or maybe ice cream.
44635489.jpg

-
Back