Block in the radiator?

-
Reaction score
I opened my radiator cap yesterday and found there was a ton of nasty brownish sludge in it. The radiator was recored last year. I have only driven it a few hundred miles sense last year and it was sitting for about 5 years before that. The odd part was my temp gauge and gas gauge dont work, so i was replacing my temperature sensor. When i pulled the old one off bring green coolant started squirting out. Is it possible that the coolant isnt circulating properly? the Thermostat and water pump have both been replaced along with the recored rad. Thanks for any help guys!

Also any idea on those gauges would be cool too. both gauges are flat even with the new sensor on the temp.

Your fuel and temp gauge problem (and I would bet $5 on this) is most likely, your instrument voltage regulator.

As for the brown sludge....... Is it oily sludge or rusty sludge?

Either way..... flush the system and refill with a correct coolant mix.

A coolant system flush is something that needs to be done regularly to be effective. Flushing now wont help much. If you were to remove the rear freeze plugs you would probably finds chunks of crud the size of golf balls. Removing those and flushing through thos openings is about the only way to clear the system.

Here is the news: Cars need to be driven.
Coolant, Oil ,and Running Temp keeps them alive. Sitting around for years gave it blocked coolant arteries.
Take RedFish's advice along with an out of car radiator clean out / maybe a rod out to core [The crud from the block is pumped into the core and then becomes a solid blockage.]

-
Back