Block Tubing Copper?

-

Coronet 500

Reaction score
What type to use, hard water pipe or soft refrigerant tubing?

I have the block drilled and ready for pressing and peening.

Any problems with cracking while peening?

Nope.

Just as an FYI, how did you ream/drill the oil passage? Was it as difficult as you thought it may be, or was it easier?

I ask, because I no longer do any SFT engine without tubing the lifter galley and some guys act like it can't be done at home. I'm actually considering doing it to every engine, including HFT and then drilling .062 holes in the tube, just for better oil control.

IMO, the single best oil system mod is blocking oil off to the lifters.

I took the easy way, and my engine is mostly street and some strip, with a solid flat lifter, and just put a plug in to block oil to the driver side.

Would you have a picture of that plug for the masses?

Far more time than I thought. Had some +1/64" bigger than hole drills which was not to difficult but caught each time I went through a lifter bore, but with the right speed and the right touch didn't break anything. Then went to a 39/64" drill which is normal length and found being hand held the entry diameter increased after drilling which troubled me for the final 5/8", 12" long drill so I made a jig. A steel tube welded to a plate at 90 degrees bolted to the block to get it going in straight and on center for the first 4-5" then removed it and drilled the remainder with LOTS of spray lube.

The hole from the back was bang on center the whole 10", the one from the front tailed of slightly maybe .050" off of center.

Would I do it again, Yes, knowing what I know now. Any guy who can take a 12" long 5/8" drill into that block one time, one pass is a better man than me!

I did this for the oil improvements but for protection if a pushrod failed won't lose all oil pressure.. Engine is starting of solid flat tappet the possibly solid roller next year.

Thank you.
OH! Didn't Mopar sell a jig to drill the tube?

I took a 5/8x18 nf tap in about an inch and will cut off a bolt with a slot cut in the end for a screwdriver, sealed in place behind the cam plate on the left/drivers side to block off oil from #1 main.

-
Back