Bloomer Performance not making cranks with Mopar rod journals (updated title)

-

dstemmerman

1972 Dart Swinger Denver
Reaction score
I had reached out to Rod and inquired about a stroker kit 360/408 and he advised he would not be making SBM cranks anymore and is focusing on SBC. Disappointing, but he has a business to run and those heads may have been the last straw.

Bloomer.PNG

Sounds like he will be doing mopar 4 cranks with Chevy size rod journals...

I purposely buy my aftermarket cranks with 2.100 rod journals. Much better rod selection with lower cost, and lighter pistons with .927 pins. A wise move I would say.

I have now been educated. I did not realize this was a thing. Makes sense and I may now go that direction. Lower bob weight and cheaper rods. Sounds like a win/win.

He attempted a sbm aluminum head endeavor with a fella doing the valve work (Mr.Bischoff IIRC) and head porting by Brett Miller.

It didn’t pan out so well and the project was canceled. A fella here (Ironmike) did try his heads and when things didn’t work right, Rod Bloomer was a stand up guy about matters but didn’t move forward on the heads after that.

Somewhere in the trio, things broke down? Maybe to much hassle over all?

Thanks...I remember that thread but I didn't follow it all the way...

It was a long odyssey that has recently resurfaced a bit. Iron Mike has forged on like a champ and is up and running in his ride.

Sounds like he will be doing mopar 4 cranks with Chevy size rod journals...

The only way I'd buy a crank with a Mopar sized rod journal would be if I already had a very good set of rods and the budget didn't allow for a new set. My 4" crank has 2.100" journals and the 4.125" has 2.00". It not only opens up rod and bearing choices it also reduces the amount of block clearancing required to clear the rods and helps with oil pick up tube clearance.

I don't know what was wrong with the heads that Rod was selling and I have no first hand experience with them so I won't speculate or play arm chair quarterback. I will say this, in the dealings I've had with Rod he's been nothing but first rate. Brett Miller has his hands in some very fast small block mopars and knows what he's doing. I spoke with him several times when I was planning my 434 build and he's a sharp guy, he kept me out of the ditch a couple times.

He wants to make money. I still have no idea why anyone would buy and use a crank with Chrysler rod throws. I wouldn't make any Chrysler main bearing crank with Chrysler Rod bearing sizes.
Matters not.
That forces you to buy rods so you can save a tiny bit of weight...while that matters much to some...its not the final word and mostly un noticable in about 80 percent of whats being built out there. Reminds me of arguing that 360s suck compared to a 340 because bearing speed is greater, though this is weight.
"i think they save more money in producing the chevy journals" Go Chevy pin, now change the piston too...wait that cost YOU more money, nice way to shift the burden ;)
I could care less what bloomer does, after this many years in the biz... I don't believe the hype.

The hype on what?
Everything? I’d agree. Doubt it all until proven different.

The only way I'd buy a crank with a Mopar sized rod journal would be if I already had a very good set of rods and the budget didn't allow for a new set. My 4" crank has 2.100" journals and the 4.125" has 2.00". It not only opens up rod and bearing choices it also reduces the amount of block clearancing required to clear the rods and helps with oil pick up tube clearance.

I don't know what was wrong with the heads that Rod was selling and I have no first hand experience with them so I won't speculate or play arm chair quarterback. I will say this, in the dealings I've had with Rod he's been nothing but first rate. Brett Miller has his hands in some very fast small block mopars and knows what he's doing. I spoke with him several times when I was planning my 434 build and he's a sharp guy, he kept me out of the ditch a couple times.
The heads were lazy pieces of ****.
There is no way you need that much port volume to flow those "advertised" numbers. I can get the 205 versions advertised flow at 180-185cc with an iron head. Also the one size fits all exhaust, how big was that port?
Too much port makes for a lazy torqueless pos.
He should have done 185-190 with some room to work. Hell...raise the roof, sell an intake spacer....mopar did it and it worked within stock constaints.

The heads were lazy pieces of ****.
There is no way you need that much port volume to flow those "advertised" numbers. I can get the 205 versions advertised flow at 180-185cc with an iron head. Also the one size fits all exhaust, how big was that port?
Too much port makes for a lazy torqueless pos.
He should have done 185-190 with some room to work. Hell...raise the roof, sell an intake spacer....mopar did it and it worked within stock constaints.

You looked at the heads?

Matters not.
That forces you to buy rods so you can save a tiny bit of weight...while that matters much to some...its not the final word and mostly un noticable in about 80 percent of whats being built out there. Reminds me of arguing that 360s suck compared to a 340 because bearing speed is greater, though this is weight.
"i think they save more money in producing the chevy journals" Go Chevy pin, now change the piston too...wait that cost YOU more money, nice way to shift the burden ;)
I could care less what bloomer does, after this many years in the biz... I don't believe the hype.

All you do is buy Chevy rods when you order the kit. It's stupid to use those big bearings. I'd make everything 2.00 if it was easier to get the rods.

All my BBC was turned to 2.100 and a few were 2.00.

If you order it all at the same time it's the same cost. This is what happens when the customer orders parts.

Matters not.

Diamond and Ross both have shelf pistons with the .927" pin, I'm sure they're not the only ones. They cost the same as a piston with .984" pin.

Diamond and Ross both have shelf pistons with the .927" pin, I'm sure they're not the only ones. They cost the same as a piston with .984" pin.
Absolutely,they do.
As for the guys who love mopars not only because they are strong power makers but because they're cheaper from a factory part and potential stand point....they will use hyper pistons and stock rods and buy their cranks from SCAT.

-
Back