blow by in 225, what does that mean exactly?

-

74Dart_Girl

Reaction score
So I can somewhat find my way around a car, but i've still got a lot learn. I have had my car back on the road for a little over a month now, and Ive encountered a few issues and managed to work them all out. It runs super quiet and smooth and is a pleasure to drive (now that it isn't stalling at every intersection). Now, I took it on its first long drive, about 10 hours within a day. My old mechanic friend went to take a look at the car, and there and behold there is oil in the air filter. For the month I drove it before, it never happened. I watched temps closely in the car, it never overheated, it got warmer on some of the canyon inclines, but I kept it cooled off. Previous to getting it on the road, I did the compression test and all resulted within good standards.

So I guess what im wanting to know is, what should I be expecting? Does this mean my engine is going to go soon? Is there anything I can do to lengthen the time before that happens, and are there things I should be watching for as warning signs etc?

Thanks for helping this naive car enthusiast out :)

If it's been sitting for a very long time, I'd change the oil and run it awhile. I once bought a low miles (20K) 340 from a junkyard, and it was only a few years old, like maybe 3. I bet it took a week or more before it "cleaned up." I was concerned enough to phone the junkyard, and he assured me they'd stand behind it. I put 80K on that engine, freshened it up, and ran it a few more years in an old Landcruiser.

If that doesn't seem to work, run a compression / leakdown check

Watch for and suspect the mechanical fuel pump leaking fuel into the oil.

Might be bad oil seals

Other than major engine damage, like cracked block /pistons / rings and heads, it'll be "normal wear" like worn rings, valve guides and bad valve seals.

If the engine has been overheated, that can be a factor.

If it's been sitting for a very long time, I'd change the oil and run it awhile. I once bought a low miles (20K) 340 from a junkyard, and it was only a few years old, like maybe 3. I bet it took a week or more before it "cleaned up." I was concerned enough to phone the junkyard, and he assured me they'd stand behind it. I put 80K on that engine, freshened it up, and ran it a few more years in an old Landcruiser.

If that doesn't seem to work, run a compression / leakdown check

Watch for and suspect the mechanical fuel pump leaking fuel into the oil.

Might be bad oil seals

Other than major engine damage, like cracked block /pistons / rings and heads, it'll be "normal wear" like worn rings, valve guides and bad valve seals.

If the engine has been overheated, that can be a factor.
Del nailed it.

Anywhoo, all these old worn engines have some blow-by. Don't fret it too much.

Like the others have said, I have had several cars that sat for a good while and the more you drove them they kinda loosened up. Check to see if your PCV valve is working proper. Slant sixes are known to plugup at the fitting at the base of the carburator.

-
Back