blowing oil out dipstick tube

-

fivefivem

Reaction score
really twisted my small block crate motor up today; the highest i have ever turned it in first and second gear. when i got back to my shop i noticed smoke coming out from under the front of my duster. raised the hood and it had blown oil all down the passenger side and front of the engine and firewall. the alternator was covered. i assume it blew it out the dipstick. also noticed oil on the bottom of both rear breather caps on both valve covers. don't really understand why it did this? any feedback as to how or why and what caused this would be appreciated. would like to know how to stop this if possible. made a big mess. thanks

Too much pressure not enough vacuum. You have a pcv valve on it?

thanks; i will give that a try. my duster has a custom ramair breather system with no provision for a pcv. can i run it to the carb or does it have to run to the breather? might be a stupid question but i am not a mechanic.

You can run either breather, carb hell you can even get a kit to run off the exhaust! Though the exhaust is really for a race motor. Even with a custom breather you can adopt it to fit your pcv valve.

make sure you have a breather on the other valve cover ,you don't want a complete vacuum on the crankcase.

I would have to run compression test and see if its loosing too much into the crankcase. Reason being, they haven't always had PCV systems, only breathers on valve covers. Oily air coming out of those made a mess on the valve covers and potential fire hazard. PCV allows only inhale at the breather(s) and any pressure actually vacuumed out in another place.
If you do add a pcv valve you'll need to know whatever brand valve cover you have also has a baffle beneath where the PCV valve will be or raise the valve away from the cover to a inline configuration so it doesn't pull too much oil out.
Good luck

I would have to run compression test and see if its loosing too much into the crankcase. Reason being, they haven't always had PCV systems, only breathers on valve covers. Oily air coming out of those made a mess on the valve covers and potential fire hazard. PCV allows only inhale at the breather(s) and any pressure actually vacuumed out in another place.
If you do add a pcv valve you'll need to know whatever brand valve cover you have also has a baffle beneath where the PCV valve will be or raise the valve away from the cover to a inline configuration so it doesn't pull too much oil out.
Good luck

You're right, prior to the pcv valve they used the road draft vent system (though semi trucks still use the system). Not the great setup in the world.

does it have KB pistons in it ? they can make a lot of blow by until the top ring seals up ,our stock car engines had blow by until 2/3 laps in then sealed up.

You're right, prior to the pcv valve they used the road draft vent system (though semi trucks still use the system). Not the great setup in the world.

newer semi's are getting PVC systems too so they can pass emissions testing

-
Back