Blown alcohol small block?

-
Hell a lot of the big tire outlaw turbo cars on m5 are approaching 4500hp.

YR, do you see any measurable difference in the strength of magnum vs LA blocks?

Nope. If there was, Chrylser would have offered it over the counter like they did with the T/A block.

The T/A block is the weakest of the series of race blocks...T/A...X and then R blocks in that order.

I've honed probably...I can't even guess but hundreds of magnum bores and they hone no differently than any other production block. Even the T/A isn't much harder. The X block...you know you are working with a pretty good piece of cast iron. We will see if the R block I have is even harder than that when I get going on it.

I’ve heard machinists talk about being able to tell the difference when honing or working with different qualities of cast iron. Our machinist said when he did the Dart M block for our race truck that he could tell it was better quality. I’ve never really understood it. Thanks

In the future I plan on finding out how strong my 5.9 magnum really is.

Dont worry folks, we will be finding the limit of the block!

I plan on finding the limit of lots of parts on the journey down this rabbit hole.....

The chassis and drive train shiuld handle what ever i put to it. The limit will be in the engine somewheres!

Could you post your alcohol ritual. How do you use it.
Lots of myths about alcohol. Many tell me lots of maintenance,
Other say no, not really.

Alcohol adds just a few things to your race prep and helps a few. Where I get my 54 gallon barrel of alcohol it comes with upper end lube already added for 165 dollars a drum. I rebuild my carb before each race season giving it a good cleaning and flush. I change out my floats every two years. I never start my engine like some guys do and rev it up to empress my friends. COLD starts make WATER. On race day I unload and when they call the class before me I drive around getting it up to at least 180 degrees using my lean out valve. My lean out valve is a simple 1/2 inch ball-valve plumbed into either my carb, carb spacer, or back of my intake manifold. Open it up, lean it out and build heat. After a pass I pick up my time slip, shut off my electric water pump, fan, and build heat driving back to my pit spot. I never have to run my pump or fan in the pits to cool the engine. This heat helps burn off any moisture that would come from running cool. I found Brad Penn oil (now Penn Grade) is a great oil for alcohol. Racing almost every weekend like I do I could probably get away with two oil changes a season but usually do it 3 times so I can check the oil filter. With alcohol HEAT is your friend not your enemy. Rich jetting POLLUTES the oil so an EGT readout really helps getting your jetting right.

Alcohol adds just a few things to your race prep and helps a few. Where I get my 54 gallon barrel of alcohol it comes with upper end lube already added for 165 dollars a drum. I rebuild my carb before each race season giving it a good cleaning and flush. I change out my floats every two years. I never start my engine like some guys do and rev it up to empress my friends. COLD starts make WATER. On race day I unload and when they call the class before me I drive around getting it up to at least 180 degrees using my lean out valve. My lean out valve is a simple 1/2 inch ball-valve plumbed into either my carb, carb spacer, or back of my intake manifold. Open it up, lean it out and build heat. After a pass I pick up my time slip, shut off my electric water pump, fan, and build heat driving back to my pit spot. I never have to run my pump or fan in the pits to cool the engine. This heat helps burn off any moisture that would come from running cool. I found Brad Penn oil (now Penn Grade) is a great oil for alcohol. Racing almost every weekend like I do I could probably get away with two oil changes a season but usually do it 3 times so I can check the oil filter. With alcohol HEAT is your friend not your enemy. Rich jetting POLLUTES the oil so an EGT readout really helps getting your jetting right.
Couple questions I have. Do you use a primer system for cool weather starting.
I recently was reading an article in dragzine and the racer was saying that after a run he plugs in an engine oil heater. He claims that when the oil was at a certain temperature that it burned off the alcohol from the engine oil. Have you heard of that?
What type of floats do you use that you are changing out.
Can you elaborate on your fuel system materials type of fuel pump,
Fuel cell material etc. what do you do at the end of the season?
I have heard some people say they pickle their system with gasoline. You also mentioned in another thread that you must use an exhaust system that exits out from under the car because of the poisonous fumes.

Couple questions I have. Do you use a primer system for cool weather starting.
I recently was reading an article in dragzine and the racer was saying that after a run he plugs in an engine oil heater. He claims that when the oil was at a certain temperature that it burned off the alcohol from the engine oil. Have you heard of that?
What type of floats do you use that you are changing out.
Can you elaborate on your fuel system materials type of fuel pump,
Fuel cell material etc. what do you do at the end of the season?
I have heard some people say they pickle their system with gasoline. You also mentioned in another thread that you must use an exhaust system that exits out from under the car because of the poisonous fumes.

Going to jump around here some. ALL combustible fumes are poisonous but alcohol fumes not only stink but also make your eyes water, bad. Watery eyes and cutting a good light don't mix well. Plastic 8 gallon fuel cell which I removed the foam. Barry Grant 400 fuel pump set at 5.5-6 pounds pressure. Number 10 black fiber line ran to front, number 8 to front and back of carb out or regulator. I do not use a block heater as the system I posted above works for me. My son has a water heater in his block that goes into a soft plug and are sold by jegs. If I prime my carb, give it 3 pumps to the floor mine starts well for me so I use this technique for my first start up of the day. If it's 20-30 degrees out I use the above technique plus I may dump a small amount of gas into the carb. Nothing special between races or at the end of season. Float are Polyurethane and listed for alcohol use at Summit. Stainless steel or titanium needle and seat. If I had a toilet set-up I WOULD have a primer plus system to aid heating and to save fuel but I don't.

Going to jump around here some. ALL combustible fumes are poisonous but alcohol fumes not only stink but also make your eyes water, bad. Watery eyes and cutting a good light don't mix well. Plastic 8 gallon fuel cell which I removed the foam. Barry Grant 400 fuel pump set at 5.5-6 pounds pressure. Number 10 black fiber line ran to front, number 8 to front and back of carb out or regulator. I do not use a block heater as the system I posted above works for me. My son has a water heater in his block that goes into a soft plug and are sold by jegs. If I prime my carb, give it 3 pumps to the floor mine starts well for me so I use this technique for my first start up of the day. If it's 20-30 degrees out I use the above technique plus I may dump a small amount of gas into the carb. Nothing special between races or at the end of season. Float are Polyurethane and listed for alcohol use at Summit. Stainless steel or titanium needle and seat. If I had a toilet set-up I WOULD have a primer plus system to aid heating and to save fuel but I don't.
How much fuel do you use on a run. Are your fuel lines teflon.
So I guess what you are saying is that you run your exhaust out from under the car so that you don't smell the fumes.

How much fuel do you use on a run. Are your fuel lines teflon.
So I guess what you are saying is that you run your exhaust out from under the car so that you don't smell the fumes.

No Teflon lines in my system. I use about 1 gallon of gas a pass and adding fuel each round is the only maintenance I do on race day. Most four day race weekends I never even remove the hood. I at one time (over 6 years ago) said I will never run alcohol. I hate the smell in tight spots. I also like the sound of mufflers on my car so it was a win win running them out to the side. I bought the tubbing for Summit and welded it up myself.

No Teflon lines in my system. I use about 1 gallon of gas a pass and adding fuel each round is the only maintenance I do on race day. Most four day race weekends I never even remove the hood. I at one time (over 6 years ago) said I will never run alcohol. I hate the smell in tight spots. I also like the sound of mufflers on my car so it was a win win running them out to the side. I bought the tubbing for Summit and welded it up myself.
I have not yet decided what fuel I will run, but I have put the proper fuel system in place to run alcohol just in case.
I installed this 2Lb check valve into my intake and pieced together a primer starting system using a jaz junior dragster fuel cell.
The primer fuel pump that Rons uses is available online and I have one of those.see pic of check valve. I just need to decide on a carburetor fuel specific.
Do you do anything specific for winter storage like wd40 the cylinders or run the motor on gas to get all the alcohol out of the system?

image.png

image.png

Like I said I do nothing for winter prep. I used to dump transmission fluid down my carp while running till I saw a heave blanket of smoke coming out the exhaust but quit doing so. I race my car often so they come apart every three to four years for rebuilds. Same valve springs same wires same spark plugs

Like I said I do nothing for winter prep. I used to dump transmission fluid down my carp while running till I saw a heave blanket of smoke coming out the exhaust but quit doing so. I race my car often so they come apart every three to four years for rebuilds. Same valve springs same wires same spark plugs
Ok thanks for the tips

I have not yet decided what fuel I will run, but I have put the proper fuel system in place to run alcohol just in case.
I installed this 2Lb check valve into my intake and pieced together a primer starting system using a jaz junior dragster fuel cell.
The primer fuel pump that Rons uses is available online and I have one of those.see pic of check valve. I just need to decide on a carburetor fuel specific.
Do you do anything specific for winter storage like wd40 the cylinders or run the motor on gas to get all the alcohol out of the system?

View attachment 1715426036

View attachment 1715426037

You're going to run a prime system and a carb? I ran two flying toilets and never had a prime system. I had to squirt it when cold but after that, it would start all day.

You're going to run a prime system and a carb? I ran two flying toilets and never had a prime system. I had to squirt it when cold but after that, it would start all day.
I live in Canada. Many guys up here will not run alcohol because of cold weather starting problems. I have a friend that runs it but it requires a squirt every time to get it going. Rons sells a kit that is marketed as just for easy starting.
He suggested the primer system as a way to get a squirt when you don't have a crew member handy. Another member on here told me that he runs on gasoline around the pits to speed warmup using a nitrous plate, then switches to the alcohol.
I am just asking how guys use alcohol fuel as I have never used it and am getting differing info. Perhaps I do not need the primer system, but some have told me that in the cooler months that I will.

I live in Canada. Many guys up here will not run alcohol because of cold weather starting problems. I have a friend that runs it but it requires a squirt every time to get it going. Rons sells a kit that is marketed as just for easy starting.
He suggested the primer system as a way to get a squirt when you don't have a crew member handy. Another member on here told me that he runs on gasoline around the pits to speed warmup using a nitrous plate, then switches to the alcohol.
I am just asking how guys use alcohol fuel as I have never used it and am getting differing info. Perhaps I do not need the primer system, but some have told me that in the cooler months that I will.

It may be needed of it's really cold. I just trying to figure out why you'd want that, but the Canada thing makes sense. Even if you can start it on cold days, you're better off starting it on gas when it's cold.

It may be needed of it's really cold. I just trying to figure out why you'd want that, but the Canada thing makes sense. Even if you can start it on cold days, you're better off starting it on gas when it's cold.
This is all part of the problem I am having deciding what fuel to use.
The other option is E85. That 15% gasoline in there eases the cool weather problem and I am told is much less corrosive than alcohol,
But has many of the benefits of an alcohol fuel with some of the benefits of gasoline. Eventually I will make an educated decision, but as Pittsburgh racer has pointed out, alcohol fuel is relatively cheap, even in Canadian funds lol.

Most guys around here running dirt late models run moonshine.... You may need a squirt of gas to life the fire on cold nights.

Some guys have a carb drain that replaces one fuel bowl bolt. They drain the carbs after each show. I've seen a t fitting installed in a fuel line hooked to a one quart tank that holds gasoline for starting.

A magnetic heater stuck to the oil pan will help to keep the oil clean.

Use Dino oil or a blend but not synthetic. A Pennsylvania based oil is best for alky...Brad Penn, Schaeffer, the new stuff from Joe Gibbs or CenPeCo are all good.

I'll be running alky in my small block dirt car.

The other option is E85. That 15% gasoline in there eases the cool weather problem and I am told is much less corrosive than alcohol,
But has many of the benefits of an alcohol fuel with some of the benefits of gasoline. Eventually I will make an educated decision, but as Pittsburgh racer has pointed out, alcohol fuel is relatively cheap, even in Canadian funds lol.

I'd use E85 I'd I could get it. In a heart beat. If you can get it, I'd use it. But...don't know the laws in Canada but down here, it doesn't have to be 85%. It can be much less so you have to test it to verify what you're getting from the pump.

The other option is E85. That 15% gasoline in there eases the cool weather problem and I am told is much less corrosive than alcohol........
Just a FYI clarification (in case anyone cares), e85 is approximately 15% gasoline and 85% ethanol. When people say they run alcohol, they are usually referring to methanol. Ethanol (C2H5OH) and methanol (CH3OH), although they are both alcohols, they have different chemical properties (like methanol being more corrosive).

Most of the track only cars that I know that started out running E85 have made the switch to alcohol. When you say you are dealing with cold weather up in Canada what temps are you using your car in.

Most of the track only cars that I know that started out running E85 have made the switch to alcohol. When you say you are dealing with cold weather up in Canada what temps are you using your car in.
When you mention running alcohol, did they switch to e98 or did they switch all the way over to methanol? Is that methanol your getting at that price with the top end lube added?

When you mention running alcohol, did they switch to e98 or did they switch all the way over to methanol? Is that methanol your getting at that price with the top end lube added?

They made the switch to methanol as it is so easy to get around here from your choice of vendors which are friends that race. I’m pretty sure they all get it out of nearby Ohio. The price I pay includes top end lube which is in when I pick it up approximately 5-7 miles from my house. Sometimes I pick up one barrel sometimes two. I also buy my Penn Grade oil from him. Like I have said I gave up the street scene over 30 years ago but if I did still play two years ago E85 is at my local Sheetz station five miles from my house.

Not all year round but in the late months like low 50,s high 40,s
Would be the worst case scenario I guess

-
Back