Blown Head Gaskets?

-

jrcr_15

Reaction score
Not good news in the workshop tonight. Hoping to get some ideas of what might be happening.

So after chasing electrical gremlins all winter and finally sorting out my electrical issues I was able to drive my car around the neighborhood after 3 years.

Drove quite good considering! This past weekend it was time for round 2. I rolled it back and went to start it and it turned a bit then stopped cranking suddenly. I thought it was the batteries as I had been playing around with testing the headlights and other accessories and knew they were a bit lower than normal. Charged them, went to fire it up, and same thing, the started stopped dead. I didn't have much time to putter around so I put the car away, and got back out there tonight.

I pulled the plugs and noticed they were wet (but not with gas) My idea was to to test the starter, thinking that might be the cause. I put a socket on the top pulley of the supercharger and turn the engine, as I am turning it over I was getting liquid spitting out of the spark plug holes. I am pretty sure it is coolant. This will sound dumb, I am not certain if that is the case as it went everywhere I was not able to actually verify it.

I checked the rad, it is not low on fluid, the oil is not discolored either.

Unfortunately, I am leaning towards a bad head gaskets..?

Relevant Info about the engine:

Stroked 340 Siamese R block - roughly 420 CI
W2 heads
671 blower
Meizer electric water pump

Any help would be appreciated

Pressure test the cooling system with the spark plugs removed.
What head gasket are you using?
Might be a cracked head or cylinder wall...
Head gaskets are the weakest link on SB Mopars, especially while running boost.
How much PSI of boost?

Pressure test the cooling system with the spark plugs removed.
What head gasket are you using?
Might be a cracked head or cylinder wall...
Head gaskets are the weakest link on SB Mopars, especially while running boost.
How much PSI of boost?
Thank you for replying.

I am not sure about the head gaskets. My dad helped me build the engine and he passed away a few years ago. I do recall we got them specifically for high performance / boosted applications though. They are not stock gaskets.

It would be about 6-8lbs of boost, pretty mild. I never really got into it enough for it to pull into boost too much to be honest.

Had a v6 hydro lock and explode the starter

With all plugs out you should be able to crank the engine and if there is coolant in the cyl you will know.

BTW you might have an intake leak rather than a head gasket.

The starter will probably work fine with the plugs removed. Bad head gasket or cracked head, pressure test to find which cylinder.

You got a meziere water pump. Turn it on with the plugs out and see if it starts to fill the cylinders. Thats easy enough with an electric pump.

-
Back