Blue 64 Dart GT

-
Beautiful Dart! I love that color.
Do you guys still cruise Kearney (Carney St?) in Springfield?

I think cruising Kearney got outlawed about 10 years ago. I heard it was pretty good fun back in the day.

I can't wait to get my car done and take it to the monthly Steak 'N Shake (hamburger joint) cruise-in. I took it there two years ago and parked way in the back cause it wasn't restored. Had a lot of people look at it since you don't see a lot of Darts on the road in my town.

I think cruising Kearney got outlawed about 10 years ago. I heard it was pretty good fun back in the day.

I can't wait to get my car done and take it to the monthly Steak 'N Shake (hamburger joint) cruise-in. I took it there two years ago and parked way in the back cause it wasn't restored. Had a lot of people look at it since you don't see a lot of Darts on the road in my town.

Nice car take a look at my 64 vert in my profile. i have the dart tailights on ebay.

Got the car home yesterday so I can start finishing things up on my own. The guy who trailered it the 30 miles home said he was driving 55 miles per hour and other cars on the freeway were slowing down to take pictures and give thumbs up.

Can't really drive the car yet so I sat in the garage last night listening to Pandora on my iPhone. I have two speakers in back hooked to a small amp I got from woodyscustomshop.com. The amp is connected to the ignition. Total cost was $60 for the amp and $30 for two speakers at Radio Shack. It sounded really good!!

Also, got the AM radio working with the speaker up front. Listened to a little country music.

Here's a few pictures on it's first day home. The NOS fender emblems looks great on it. Little better than the pitted up ones it had on it.

Attachments

• home1.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 413
  • home2.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 377
  • home3.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 368
  • home4.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 390
It's looking good! If you work overtime you can have it ready to cruise at the Street Machine Nationals. :D
Dallas

It's looking good! If you work overtime you can have it ready to cruise at the Street Machine Nationals. :D
Dallas

Thanks Dallas! I wish, but it will be a while before it's back on the road. It would be pretty cool to cruise down the main drag on Friday night with all the people sitting in lawn chairs along side the road. Maybe next year :sigh:

Thanks Dallas! I wish, but it will be a while before it's back on the road. It would be pretty cool to cruise down the main drag on Friday night with all the people sitting in lawn chairs along side the road. Maybe next year :sigh:

It was stupid this year...Alot of guys one dirtbikes zippin along the turn lanes...Almost saw a guy on a crotch rocket doing 80 plow into a pickup right by the I44 and Glenstone overpass.

It was stupid this year...Alot of guys one dirtbikes zippin along the turn lanes...Almost saw a guy on a crotch rocket doing 80 plow into a pickup right by the I44 and Glenstone overpass.

I went up on Saturday evening and parked at the McDonalds on the north end of Glenstone. Some of the bikers got a little too crazy but it was fairly calm for the most part. I saw a few burnouts though.
I also saw 2 Chevys quit right in front of where we were sitting. Both were pushed into the McDonalds parking lot. Only problem was, the 'Vette was on fire! :wack: They got it put out, though. It left on a rollback.

I tried to take some pics but they didn't turn out too good.
Dallas

Starting to work on the Dart a little more after a long winter. I picked up some NOS antenna bezels (first pic). Need to figure out a way to straighten out my antenna. Might be a good reason to buy a vise for my shop.

Also, I need to disassemble vent window for replating. If anyone has any suggestions for removing the pin (red arrow) below I'd really appreciate it.

Other than that, I've finished installing a NOS circuit board with an external limiter and I've sent off my tail light bezels and some other pieces to R&D finishing in Tennessee for chrome replating. I'll post pictures once I get them back. The owner used to work at Tri-Cities so I'm sure he knows his stuff.

IMG_1304111930320.jpg

limiter.jpg

ventwindow.png

Beautiful GT.After seeing yours I not sure I want to put pics of the 64 I just got as I work on it.I have neither the time or the budget to make it that nice.Congratulations on a great car.

Beautiful GT.After seeing yours I not sure I want to put pics of the 64 I just got as I work on it.I have neither the time or the budget to make it that nice.Congratulations on a great car.

Thanks! I didn't mean for it to end up this nice (wish I had the $$ I spent) but after all I've done to it I want to make sure take my time and finish it right.

You should share your progress too. I'd like to see another 64 on here. Let me know if you're looking for anything in particular.

Robert,
It's good to see you posting some progress. I was wondering if you had done any more to it.
It might be a good idea to ask about removing the pin in the 'body' section.
Dallas

Robert,
It's good to see you posting some progress. I was wondering if you had done any more to it.
It might be a good idea to ask about removing the pin in the 'body' section.
Dallas

Hello Dallas, Good to hear from you. I took your advice and posted on the body section. Things are going a little slower than I'd hoped but I think I can get it back on the road this summer.

Here's a few more pictures of progress (slowly but surely) on the dart. Next up is getting the back glass in. I want to make sure to get it sealed properly (even though the car probably wont see much rain) so I've been reading on here on how best to do it.

I like how the headlight rings, grill, and trunk trim turned out after using the SEM Trim Black paint. Put in the aftermarket taillight lenses with my free gaskets from DMT since I provided the patterns for him. Have my vent windows at R & D refinishing to get rechromed.

Can't wait to get this on the road!!

front1.jpg

front2.jpg

side.jpg

rear.jpg

iDrsi4F4-2T5IsLYjtUDn9MTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0

Hey Robert, looking good. :thumblef: I'm glad to see an update.

When you install the back glass use butyl sealer. Use some in the channel in the gasket where the glass fits and also use it in the channel in the gasket that goes over the pinchweld. You have to seal both places or it WILL leak, sooner or later.

Butyl is a non-hardening sealer. Don't use urethane or any other sealer. O'reilly's sells the butyl in a tube for a caulking gun. One tube will be enough. The brand is 3M but I don't remember the p/n.

Dallas

Hey Dallas, thanks for the reply and the encouragement! I was hoping to be further along by now but with a new baby there are somethings more important :)

That's about the clearest advice I've heard on the back glass sealing. I'm sure I can find the part number. Do you like to seal things before or after the glass is installed?

Robert

I try to run a continuous bead around inside the channel of the gasket, then put the glass in it. That bead needs to be small but you don't want to have any gaps.

Then, while the glass and gasket are still laying on the work stand, I run a bead in the outer channel that fits over the pinchweld. Then I set the glass/gasket assembly up to the opening and pull the lip over the pinchweld with a hook tool. I don't pull it in with a rope since that would make a mess with the sealer already in the channel. You will get some sealer squeezing out but it cleans up pretty easy.

Now that I've confused you, you can give me a call and I'll try to explain it better. LOL

Dallas

My '64 270 (4 door) probably won't ever look this good, but you've inspired me to try and refresh my instrument cluster a bit! My "chrome" areas are just dull grey with tan showing through.

GREAT looking dart! not an easy car getting trim for either! ha

I live 40 mi west of springfield and have a small herd of early dart projects in process. hope to meet you at a cruise in next summer.

first time I have seen this - really nice - excellent! I'll bet you sleep with a smile on your face..

-
Back