Blutooth scan tools?

-

pishta

I know I'm right....
Reaction score
I am blind troubleshooting this Pentastar motor without a live data graphing scantool. I understand the plug in heads that communicate with your phone are pretty darn good and cheap as they dont have to have the supporting display hardware built in. Soo....Im in the market for a BT scantool that gives me live data and possible graphing (ie. oil pressure) via Android interface. Any owners of this thing here with some real world usage? Maybe it can tell me what TPS is bad too....:BangHead:

Scan tools are completely $$$$$ dependent how much do you want to spend?

What's the engine doing (fault codes), and what year / model is it in? I'm assuming it's a 3.6. You mention TPS, in plural. Knowing they are part of the throttle body, and not serviceable (by most); you just need to verify wire condition (via load testing them), and that signals are making it to the PCM. If so, it probably needs a throttle body replacement. Now, if your codes are along the lines of APP 1 and 2 - you are looking at the accelerator pedal. If you are dealing with correlation faults, you're going to need a scan tool capable of performing relearn task$$$.

Last edited:
Here is what I use for a scan tool.

Actron

Reads engine Codes, clears codes.

Can look up the displayed error codes on the internet to see what components they go with.

Screenshot_20211212-180016_Firefox.jpg

Plugs in under the dash.

Screenshot_20211212-175841_Firefox.jpg

I have one that Bluetooth's to my phone. It's called a BlueDriver. It can give you some live data but, I haven't taken the time to figure that part out. I use it mainly to read codes and, reset CIL. You can get them on Amazon for around $100. I really like it for what I use it for. One of these days I will figure out the live data.

I bought the BlueDriver probably 3-4 years ago and been happy with it. Live data isn't hard, just need to fiddle with it a bit.

-
Back