Body and Frame measurements

-
My copy of the 71 Factory Service Manual has frame/chassis dimensions not sure about body stuff.

Hey guys where can I find the measurments for a 67 barracuda FB frame and body to rebuild wrecked car??

This is just a FYI.... alway's take in consideration, that these factory measurement dimension's should only be used, when you are using OEM used frame/body metal, as a lot of the aftermarket framerails/etc. and unibody support metal, do not have the locating hole's in the proper location, which does make it very difficult to use a factory specification measurement with using aftermarket stuff. We learned about some of this, from Jeff @ 521 Restoration's. Some of this info pertains to a B-body car only.

This is just a FYI.... alway's take in consideration, that these factory measurement dimension's should only be used, when you are using OEM used frame/body metal, as a lot of the aftermarket framerails/etc. and unibody support metal, do not have the locating hole's in the proper location, which does make it very difficult to use a factory specification measurement with using aftermarket stuff. We learned about some of this, from Jeff @ 521 Restoration's. Some of this info pertains to a B-body car only.

Sorry, but regardless of the parts used the factory measurements are the factory measurements. Most of the factory stuff is +/- 1/4" if you're talking frame rails etc. Body measurements can vary more than that even from the factory.

That said, it doesn't matter what parts you use. If you can't get the factory measurements with aftermarket parts, you need to fix the aftermarket parts, not use different measurements. Assuming the rest of the car is straight.

Thanks guys this will help. This car is a 67FB bb4speed matching numbers and I don't want to screw it up! The storey I got was a 20 year old left it out of gear and no parking brake on a hill and it rolled down the hill and hit a tree yea right I just want to keep it numbers matching,

Sorry, but regardless of the parts used the factory measurements are the factory measurements. Most of the factory stuff is +/- 1/4" if you're talking frame rails etc. Body measurements can vary more than that even from the factory.

That said, it doesn't matter what parts you use. If you can't get the factory measurements with aftermarket parts, you need to fix the aftermarket parts, not use different measurements. Assuming the rest of the car is straight.

I will say this.... I have read just about every post, you have written/or posted to, and just about everytime I have read your stuff, and I have agreed to about 99% accuracy. What I was trying to say/mention is, the hole stamping's in which you measure to/from or front/rear of those/them holes is/or could different than the locating holes in OEM framerail's. We have talked to Jeff @ 521 Restoration's, and has told us that what he has seen/measured on AMD rails, (He is an AMD dealer) and other structural metal, this is why he has two different setup jigs, depending on what they are using, OEM or AMD, his words, not mine. As far as mentioning something about the oem factory measurements being different depending what you may be using, I do not believe that was mentioned by me, but if I did, I apologize. It was the locating hole's that I had mentioned/talked about. I don't have any hard feelings here about your above post, just remember, it's ok to disagree on something. Have a good day! Dodge33

I will say this.... I have read just about every post, you have written/or posted to, and just about everytime I have read your stuff, and I have agreed to about 99% accuracy. What I was trying to say/mention is, the hole stamping's in which you measure to/from or front/rear of those/them holes is/or could different than the locating holes in OEM framerail's. We have talked to Jeff @ 521 Restoration's, and has told us that what he has seen/measured on AMD rails, (He is an AMD dealer) and other structural metal, this is why he has two different setup jigs, depending on what they are using, OEM or AMD, his words, not mine. As far as mentioning something about the oem factory measurements being different depending what you may be using, I do not believe that was mentioned by me, but if I did, I apologize. It was the locating hole's that I had mentioned/talked about. I don't have any hard feelings here about your above post, just remember, it's ok to disagree on something. Have a good day! Dodge33

No hard feelings at all. My point is just that regardless of what parts you use, the frame rails have to end up in the same place- namely, straight. And that means the final measurements should match those listed by the factory.

As far as mounting/locating holes go, those changed from year to year even on the factory cars. Yes, that means it can sometimes be difficult to determine where you need to actually measure from in order to replicate the factory measurements. But it doesn't change the measurements, it just makes taking accurate measurements harder. That's why frame repair is a tedious business and why a lot of people get it wrong.

Thanks again guys this will help I do have some frame rail that came from a 67 a body that are straight and pretty good shape rust wise.

-
Back