Body or Mechanical first?

-

1967DartGT

Reaction score
I was just wondering what others think is the best approach to a gradual restoration. If your car needs both body work/paint and mechanical upgrades/repairs, which would you tackle first?

Body work and paint first?

Mechanical work first?

mechanical.... then you don't mess up the bodywork pulling the engine out or anything....

but then it might look like heck for a while... (mine has needed bodywork since the day I got it... and still waiting...LOL)

Still, it's better than driving a rice burner!

I vote body work first because I think that's the hardest part. The mechanical stuff is much easier. You'll have to pull the motor out anyway to paint the engine bay and underside of the car, just be careful when you're putting it back in.

Personally, I like to do the mechanical stuff first...Brakes and suspension first because you HAVE to stop, and you gotta be able to handle/maneuver out of the way. Then a good running fine tuned engine and tranny...Once the important things are done, then you can worry about paint and body work, and looking nice...

I usually go for the mechanicals first. This way you can drive and enjoy the car.
You also get a good idea just what mechanicals need to be done.

you'd hate to put alot of money in the body just to find out it has to sit so you can work on the mechanical. I vote mechanical first.

I painted my 67 first... but I'm changing lots of things from the last time I had it together...

I try to be real careful, use fender covers, blankets, towels, and tape...

I have still put 3 scratches in may car (small, but still visible) just doing all the suspension and under chassis. No motor or trans or interior yet...

I get so upset EVERYTIME, it almosts ruins the day...

That being said, I have a small garage, and work alone even when I really need a 2nd pair of hands. Wrenches slip, stuff breaks, DAMN...

Goodluck,

JOE

I always do the mechanical first. I may not upgrade anything but I make sure all the basic systems function correctly and replace parts as needed.

Once the car is a confident driver I switch to cosmetics.

Personally I do the interior before paint. If a car runs well and looks great inside Im comfortable.

I vote for mechanical first too. I consider that the test fit phase, and if you scratch it oh well. Once it comes apart after a good "dry" build then you know what to be careful with so you don't damage that perfect paint job.

do the wrenching first, once its all sorted out you can pull it all apart and do the cosmetic stuff and be certain you don't have fitment issues when it goes back together.

Brakes and suspension first, then engine and drive train, on to the interior. Your color choices will probably change several times before its painted. POR or primer on the most serious places will work until a professional gets to the paint.

Mechanical. Nothing more frustrating than having a beautiful car sitting in the garage that runs like sh!#. Like having a gorgeous wife who's celibate.

Drive it while you do body work. I don't care if it is 4 different colors as long as it runs good. Just look at my dart.:-D

I think it depends on the extent of the work you plan on doing. If it's a total restoration, then I would take the drivetrain and interior out and do the bodywork first. Then paint the underside, engine bay, trunk and interior. Then I would tackle the mechanical end of things, including the suspension and drivetrain. Next would come the exterior paint and then the interior parts.

On my Demon I did the body then the mechanical and then the paint. As mentioned earlier, trying to paint an engine bay after the engine is in is a PITA.

Jack

-
Back