Body panel adhesive

-

qkcuda

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have to do a small repair on my 2009 Honda Ridgeline. It is rusted between the gas filler door and the wheel lip, right where they all seem to go. I do have a mig welder but am a little concerned with welding that close to the gas filler. Any suggestions regarding a good body panel adhesive? The whole patch is probably 6 inches deep by 9 inches wide, so I don't need much. I would also like to avoid having to buy an expensive applicator gun, as this is a one off repair.

You can hand mix the stuff. Plastic filler doesn't like to stick to it so keep that in mind. Any brand should work. I like Fusor.

Norton speed grip 06427
I think you will need a special gun for just about any of them. Maybe you can borrow one, they are expensive.

You realize the fuel cap and filler neck are designed to not leak vapors? Myself i would remove filler neck and cap fuel tank and weld repair the panel.

or use a flanging tool, put step in panel and bond in with a fiberglass filler. Finish with conventional methoods.

Frankly I have also never had much luck welding sheet metal either, burning holes etc. The wheel lip is also kind of a strange shape, so I figured the adhesive might be easier.

You can hand mix the stuff. Plastic filler doesn't like to stick to it so keep that in mind. Any brand should work. I like Fusor.
I'm in on the Lord Fusor products also!! Stinks like hell but, works great!!

The only issue I see with body adhesive is that you need a way of clamping the part to the body until it sets.

The only issue I see with body adhesive is that you need a way of clamping the part to the body until it sets.
Body shops screw panels on. Then pull screws out or grind heads off.

I bought the 3M gun, yes its expensive for a glorified caulking gun, but it works good.
Flange the panel, overlay the repair panel, drill 1/8 holes thru both panels, hold with Clecko's.
Clean any paint off metal, apply adhesive, and Clecko together.
After adhesive sets up, remove Clecko's and add more adhesive to the holes.
The adhesive sands easy its just plastic, and use filler to smooth out.

The nice thing with the 3M set up is you leave the twizzler stick on the end of the tube. When using the adhesive next time, just change the tube and you do not waste no adhesive.

Could we please have a few pictures of the damage? It is hard for me to offer an opinion without that.

-
Back