Body panel adhesives

-

jos51700

Green Bearing thread connoisseur
Reaction score
On the Dart Lite and Feather Duster models, how did they attach the aluminum substructure to the hood skin and deck skin? Was it some kind of epoxy or rivet or what? I don't think it could be welds.

On all-steel hoods, were the substructures welded or attached similarly? I don't see welds any where, except at the perimeter on an all steel hood.

1698342266379.png

Do any of the body folks here have a recommendation on something that could be used to do something similar?

Capture+_2023-10-26-18-39-23.png

I've circled those little blobs in between the structure and outter sheet metal. That is an adhesive the factory used for that portion. Spot welded around the perimeter obviously. I think what they used was still a little pliable so when it was put together, the skin wouldn't distort. There's different kinds of "panel bonds" available. If you have a local body guy you trust, give them a shout.

I am pretty sure it is just seam sealer

On the stock steel hoods the blobs in the middle under the supports were just seam sealer. It kept the panels from vibrating but still let the skin expand and contract. The skins are spot welded around the edges on most stock hoods. I have no idea how they built the lite hoods, never seen one. I would have to guess they were crimped on.

-
Back