Body panel spacing. How big is too big?

-

DusterDaddy

sledgehammer mechanic
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
OK, so to test fit the Frankenstein parts for my 74 Duster project I set the doors with decent 3/16-1/4 in gaps. The fenders have similar decent gaps to the doors.

Sorry for the poor quality pics and everything being different colors and just roughed in.

First pic shows the door to fender gap as being decent

Next is a pic of the cowl-fender-hood gaps. It looks bad where they all come together.

I want to slide the hood back and the fenders forward a bit, but then the fenders will stick out past the front edge of the hood.

A body man a know thinks it's OK having a larger gap hood to cowl than the others.

I'm not sure I'm digging that.....

Attachments

• door fender gap.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 534
  • fender hood cowl gap.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 501
Post some pictures of the door -1/4 gap and the front edge of the hood/fender gap.

You have to remember, these cars were never designed to fit as tight as todays cars do. Did you remove the door hinges from the body? Also looks like the fender needs to come up a little.

I bet it won't look so bad when its pained one color. I had to mess with my hood when I first got my car cuz it didn't line up with the front of the fender, afterward the cowl gap looked all gaff cuz its right there and I had my attention drawn to it, but now I don't even notice it anymore. Like B-onefan said, these cars were never built perfect.

This is what I have with me now.

Another thing is the long gap hood to fender is good and the everthing is straight, however the the hood is sticks out past the fender by 1/8 on the passenger side.

I'm thinking I will just go with a slightly wider gap on both ends of the passenger door and slide the passenger fender forward.

Attachments

• right fender hood gap (1).JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 454
  • right fender hood gap (2).JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 489
  • left front.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 484
  • front gap.JPG
    106.8 KB · Views: 454
I'm thinking I will just go with a slightly wider gap on both ends of the passenger door and slide the passenger fender forward.

Yes i would do the same slide the fender forward and possibly move the pass door fwd and make up some of the space if needed. also what they said these werent the straightest things from day one and after they are painted you dont notice them as much. but now is the time to get them where you are happy. I spent ALOT of time on my panels but after its done you will be glad.

The radius at ends of cowl is your fudge point. You're not supposed to focus on those. Too many other lines are more noticeable/important.
Be glad you don't have a header panel that creates surrounded hood.

I always fit my doors to the rockers, body lines, 1/4's and then work your way forward.

I wasn't happy with my gaps either, so I ended up welding along the door and fender edges to get my gaps where I was happy with them. It's a lot of work, but I think it's worth it.....Dave

I wasn't happy with my gaps either, so I ended up welding along the door and fender edges to get my gaps where I was happy with them. It's a lot of work, but I think it's worth it.....Dave

Yup, a good way to get all the lines perfect. Weld in some filler and grind it back. You can even make some relief cuts, move the metal over as required with a body hammer and then weld everything back in place.

It does take time and some skill but works great for fixing a less than perfect factory alignment.

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

You should set the doors first then set the hood. The fenders are last to be set. The hood gap in your picture does look wide at the cowl however uniform from one side to the other and may just need to be set back a bit.

I spent ALOT of time on my panels but after its done you will be glad.

I too have literally spent days adjusting, aligning and tweeking my doors, fenders and hood with the bumpers and such. every car is different and some use shims where others did not need any.

You should set the doors first then set the hood. The fenders are last to be set. The hood gap in your picture does look wide at the cowl however uniform from one side to the other and may just need to be set back a bit.

This ^^. The gap between hood and cowl look excessive from here.

Everything looks good to me. I would bring the fender up a little to meet the cowl. You would be surprised that when you get everything the same color how much better it will look. The front of the hood can be adjusted by your round rubber adjuster (up & down) Hows your door & quarter gap. You should start there. Looks like you could bring the hood back a little

This is the gap problem that I was talking about in other threads. I may have mentioned it to you in PM at some point.

I had this issue with the Scamp and I managed to get a tighter door gap as well as hood gap by changing the leg of the fender, at the top side, where it meets the cowl.

I traced the curved body line on the top rear of the fender with a sharpie and used the traced line that I brought outward as a guideline to roll the edge of the fender in with a hammer and dolly. If you place the dolly on the top of the fender and strike the edge with a curved face hammer, like a ball peen or a dinging/ skinning hammer, sideways (bondo makes a cheap one), it can be done with minimal or no filler work.

The key is the heel or common dolly on top of the fender, just outside of your guide line, to keep the fender skin from coming up, when you open up that gap. I had to trim a little bit of extra metal off of the bottom on the inside, after I was finished.

The gaps look even, now, because I corrected the tight gap from the fender to cowl. This will remedy your hood to cowl gap issue and make the rear arch of the hood match the fender as well as the cowl, so you have one even line going around the cowl.

Get the hood where you want it against the cowl, first. Take the fenders off and get the hood exactly how you like it against the cowl, then adjust the gaps on the top rear of the fenders with your hammer and dolly so they look good with the cowl to hood gap, when each fender matches the front of the hood, perfectly. If you do this correctly, you should have nice door gaps, too. You may have to adjust the entire front clip forward or backward, depending on how your door gaps look, but do it all to the hood.

I put the doors on, first. I hung them with all of the gear in them, so they swung nicely, after rebuilding the hinges with new bushings and I put seam sealer back on them, before installing the hinges, after I primed the jambs. Once I got the door to quarter and rocker gap perfect with the striker off, I put the strikers in and got the door to latch nice and easy. I did this without any weatherstrip in the door. The new weatherstrip will be difficult for a week or so, but it relaxes. Just be sure to hear two clicks on the latch and pull the door out when checking the adjustment after it latches, to simulate the tension from the weatherstrip.

Then I put the hood on and adjusted the fenders to fit the hood and the doors, last.

If you get the hood square and get a nice, even gap with the cowl, at a distance that you like, leave it on the car. You don't need to paint the bottom of the hood off of the car. It is actually nicer if you leave it on and do the entire engine bay with the hood and fenders on.

If you don't want to do a K member drop to install the engine from the bottom, there is a way to do it from the top side without removing the hood, after everything is all done.

You should be able to adjust the front of the fender in and out after you've put the apron bolts on (most of them across the top, that go in from the engine bay). The bolts at the radiator support will allow you to move the entire fender in and out with the bolts at the top completely attached. The aprons are designed to flex, so you can put seam sealer on them without shims to get the front wheelhouse/ fender to seal and not get the engine compartment full of splash.

Fit them first, after making your adjustment to the top rear of the fender and once you like how it fits to your gapped and square hood against the cowl, take them back off, put seam sealer on the edges that meet the aprons and reinstall them.

O gawd, not this thread again.... 5/16ish. Mopar had worst gaps in US car manufacturer history. Do what you can without driving yourself insane.

Took my time Sunday and I am much happier with the results..
Thanks to all who replied.

Attachments

• 8.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 302
  • 7.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 310
  • 6.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 347
  • 5.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 298
  • 3.JPG
    116.6 KB · Views: 298
  • 2.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 286
  • a hood.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 306
Any time I can help, Tim.

Looks better, but I'm wondering if your fenders are in too close, for the doors to shut properly without springing?

Sometimes by doing that, you can remove some hinge shims, but beware if you do, because some cars needed them for the weatherstrip, up front at the leading edge of the door, so it wouldn't spring.

Thanks for all of the hours you have spent answer my questions Dave!
What a gentleman😎

I'll slide the fenders up and out a bit

Don't have any weather stripping on anything but I think my allowance is ok

No shims at all on the passenger door and only a angle 20 gauge sheet metal shim on the bottom hinge of the drivers door

Might be a stooped question ,,, Did you renew the door hinges before you started aligning ?
Gaps/ cosmetic appearance is one thing. Window to window, window to weatherstrip, wind noise and water leaks, is another.
If panel alignment conflicts with window alignments you can have a MAJOR nightmare.

The previous owner did the hinges (saw the plastic bags the pins came in, they were in the box of **** he left in the trunk)and we hung the doors with the old weather stripping then pulled it off for paint.

-
Back