Body shop moving slow

-

TF360

Reaction score
Body Guys? Restoring my 74 Duster. Took everything off the car bumpers, grill, door handles, lights antenna, mirrors ect. Body Shop told me the car would be done in about three weeks (having it painted), but It's taking longer. I have no problems with it taking longer, but I stopped by the shop and noticed surface rust forming around some of the body work. The guy said they would sand it a little more and the primer would go on soon. My question is, if the rust is forming will or does it need to be treated with some type of rust killer. Are primers better than they used to be as far as rust prevention? What do you guys think?

I think you are lucky. My paint and body guy told me a few months. Two years later it was finished.

In FL I would be concerned. I did my body work at home. If I had bare metal it was primed same day, even if I knew I was taking it off the next day.

Your concern is valid. especially in high humidity area's of the country.

The bigger issue may be the shop. this is not a new problem and over the years there have been many threads regarding "slow body shops". A couple facts: for the most part body shops run on a tight, if not negative, margin/cash flow most of the time. Therefore they will work for the cash. Be it private or insurance work. Also, if you don't show up on a regular basis (two to three times a week) you will be pushed out for the guy that does show up. Most ask for some kind of money down. It's not wrong however, if you paid a percentage of the the total, it's probably paid too far forward. Odds are your money did not go to your project but to the guy ahead of you. Again nothing wrong with that as long as there is progress on yours and they make it right in the end.

Having said that, here is my experience; When the shop started my '64 B Body i had an agreement to pay Weekly, a reasonable amount for the work. $500. This would be posted against my running total as shown on my continuing invoice. I would pay for the supplies as we went. Again shown on the invoice and checked against what was a reasonable usage. I paid for ALL finishing products (primer, sealer, reducer, activator, color, clear, etc.) as invoiced as a pass through of cost. Of course I realized that there was a mark-up but it wasn't out of line. There was total budget number discussed and if we ran into something that would push the number higher, we discussed it. The last part of this is; And the most important) I dropped in nearly every week day. Not to be a pest or to complain, just to check in. either on my way to work or on my way home. I would occasionally bring a cup of coffee for the guys and even bought Pizza once. I was originally told the project would take 4-5 months. It took 8-1/2. The deeper we went, the more we found. But in the end it was right and I was happy.

maybe a bit long winded, but i'd hate to see anybody get their car neglected.

So.... TF360, you ask if the surface rust is a problem? My answer is; No. The surface rust is the symptom of a potentially bigger problem. You may have a bad body shop. Only you can decide.

Good Luck. Keep us posted...

they don't call it paint shop jail for nothing. I taught myself how to paint my own stuff to avoid any kind of rip off

I did not give them any money. He said no down payment needed

I picked up the car from California rust free (really rust free), and it is so nice that I'm kind of disappointed. I just don't know if its normal or if they should have sprayed primer on it right away

we don't know what your knowledge is of body work, there is a good sticky under the paint thread here. if I didn't have any $$$ invested, you are at least not is bad spot. if no rust to be patched, then the question is how many dings and dents?? body guys should take this car down to bare metal, apply a epoxy or self etch primer, any filler on that ( not bare metal as they did 50 years ago). if D A ed and flash rust, they will probably just wipe it and shoot it.

exactly what is their agreement as far as process????? brands of material used?????

realize this, if a shop that does pretty much all ins. work, they tend to be the worse to take an old car to. everything depends on the intregity of the shop pretty much. I would be the type person, if they tell me 3 weeks, that is what I expect. and if no upfront $$$$, then I would hold them to that and getting YOUR car done and done right?????now if your paying $1000 don't expect a $5000 job????

Diy or bend over; if you must, itemize each repair pay as you go. NO lump sums!

Look up MARTINSR autobody101 site for the scoop. Enjoy!

At my old shop my boss would ask for money down for materials and some labor,the way you pissed them off is being like a helicopter every other day! fortunately for the customer I worked there and was willing to learn so I would volunteer to work on the old stuff,I'd harass the boss to get them done ..especially the mopars��

Talked to the owner today. He said that he wanted to take his time and get it right????

get your car, went through similar situation. dont be surprised if they ask for storage fee based on a daily rate. theres some real freakin winners out there. cheaper to learn to do it yourself good luck!

Take his time and do it right? Meanwhile it has rust forming around the bodywork they have done! Go get your car bring it home and find a good resto shop,not a collision shop.

-
Back