Body VIN Stampings - When Did They Start?

-

Rocket

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I was wondering in what production year did A Bodies receive the VIN stampings on the radiator support and rear trunk seal edge? Anywhere else to look?

I believe 1968 was the first year that the VIN stampings were placed on the engine and transmission.

Thanks

I can tell you that my 1972 Demon has the serial number stamped on the the radiator support, the VIN plate on the dash and on the speaker shelf (drivers side). The 1973 Dart Sport I use to own had the VIN on the radiator support, the dash plate, and on the trunk seal area. So obviously a change occurred between 1972 and 1973 moving the serial number from the speaker shelf to the trunk seal area.

I believe it was 69. From what I read long ago some factories were stamping some models in 68.

Ditto for the trunk stamp. Is it on the top drivers corner or under where you have to stick your head in the trunk opening?

Ditto for the trunk stamp. Is it on the top drivers corner or under where you have to stick your head in the trunk opening?

It should be under the weatherstripping, there is a number that is heavily stamped into the trunk rail which is just the part number for that piece of sheetmetal. The vin cant be seen from inside the trunk.

Its usually under the antifreeze sticker but I've seen it under where the fenders mount.

My 68 dart has numbers under the antifreeze sticker but they don't match the vin number but instead match the order number on the fender tag #-o

1969. ive heard of some late 68's but haven't seen evidence. meaning the body numbers were actually part of the VIN

69 was the year the actual VIN body stamping started. In the earlier years from 68 back it was the Factory, SPD, and SO numbers that were on these panels. The stamps were normally on the top of the left core support and the seal lip of the left quarter panel.

My 66 valiant has Both the radiator n trunk vin stamps. The 1947 Ford truck we are restoring had the vin stamped on the frame.

1969, federally mandated. Block, transmission, radiator support, trunk lip , dash, and fender tag. It was for theft deterrent, no other reason. Nobody thought anyone would care about these cars forty years later. The people that built these cars would have considered us Obsessed! Really? HA HA!:violent1:

I blame the Corvette Guys! They started it!

-
Back