body/ weatherstrip suppliers

-

75valiant

Reaction score
howdy! (we say that in oklahoma).

i have a 75 valiant 4 door sedan (the highly sought-after, collectible kind). i want to redo the weatherstripping in all the doors, i.e. channels, sweeps, new clips as needed for panels, etc. i have been very lucky that i haven't lost the driver's side glass already.

any clues where i can locate parts, and what other models they might interchange with? i have gotten my hands on a factory service manual, which might be of some help for installation. this isn't nearly as easy to find stuff for (so far) as my two prior ford pickups were. on the other hand, this is really a GREAT car!

Here are some suppliers to check out:

Layson's Restorations
http://www.laysons.com
3107 106th Street S Lakewood WA 98499
1-877-930-4088

Year One, Inc.
http://www.yearone.com/
P.O. Box 129 Tucker GA 30085
1-800-950-9503

Steele Rubber Products
http://www.steelerubber.com/
6180 E NC 150 HWY
Denver, NC 28037 Office/Plant: 704-483-9343
To Order: 800-447-0849
Fax: 704-483-6650

There is a Mopar Parts Interchange Manual available -- try Googling it. But in general, if you keep in mind that your Valiant is a Mopar A-body, generation 1967-76, that is all you need to know. Some background information:

- 1966 and older cars are called "early A-bodies". They are smaller and don't share that many parts with the later models.

- There was a generational change in 1973 -- front suspensions, rear axles, brakes and the wheel bolt pattern changed (depending on the vehicle configuration).

- Most body panels, glass, and windshield rubber are different between sport coupes and 4-door sedans. So your 4-door can't use moldings or glass from a 2-door hardtop, for instance.

thank you kindly! having an end-of-production sedan has its own special challenges. on the other hand, since i'm past 50 i really don't care as much about the sporty looks as i do enjoying the driveability of the car. plus, i can take my friends places and not only can you fit four old men comfortably, the trunk is comparatively huge!

back in '80, i bought a 70 dart swinger. basically the same car, except it was a coupe. unfortunately, it was worn out when i got it (prior owner must have been a complete moron; it's not easy to screw up a slant six but he found a way to do it), so it's easy to say this plymouth is a much, much better car. the disc brakes are SO much better, and this thing has all kinds of pep instead of being so tired. i don't know how much over 100 the valiant will go (nor do i care to), but the old dart could barely do 70-75 downhill with a tailwind. back then, the speed limit was 55 so it didn't really matter, but the car was still a dog. now there is a turnpike where i live, so it's handy to have a car that is comfortable at 80 mph. the speed limit is 75, but nobody does that; you'll get run over. consequently i usually take the old free road (u.s. 66).

-
Back