Body Work and Paint Estimate

-

plumkrazee70

Reaction score
I am getting quotes to have the body work and paint done on my car. A guy came out and quoted $6k minimum to upwards of $8k. He said it will depend on what's underneath the paint (its been painted before) and what kind of paint and clear I choose. That does not include cut and buff.

He does collision work but does stuff on the side. He said he would not take it down to bare metal and would do the body work before the primer. I have read the opposite.

I am going to get some more quotes, but just wanted your guys opinion.

$6,000.00 to $8,000.00.

I've never been accused of being extremely smart, but; that sounds lime a whole lotta reasons to learn how to do it myself!

Not including cut and buff.....Sounds like they're not confident in their work. Meaning...We can't help it that your finish guy burned through the paint. Sounds like a lot of money to me too.

If the car is gonna be worth alot more than you put into it go for it. If not buy a $300 beater and practice body work on that until you get the hang of it,either way you do it its your money.

I am 64 years old with half my R lung missing, had 3 knee replacements, cataracts in both eyes and a back surgery pending. I'm doing it, you can too! And you will never be as pleased with anything you've done on a car. There is NOTHING you'll screw up so badly you can't fix it! I've done a few partials but this is the first time I have undertook a project like this. Yeah, it scares me a bit, but screw it!

Just $0.02 from an old fat guy!

I'm wondering why he said he would not take it to bare steel but the price depends on what is underneath?

What paint system is he using? Is he billing you on time and materials? What is his labor rate and how many hours is his estimate for? Have you seen any of his work? What is his time line? Is he giving you anything in writing?

A good paint system is going to cost close to a grand for the color alone if he is using base clear. Materials add up fast....

I had quotes of 10-20000 to do my Demon. I have never done paint and body work. Is it perfect? No but I’m happy. At least I can say I’ve done one. The other thing you need to really consider is how long are you willing to wait to drive the car? Believe me I made errors and had to work things out. I took the whole car down to metal and worked up.

9D4A8934-5B20-4381-899C-59157DBE7252.jpeg

9066C293-0B1B-4FF8-9FFA-A70BB72EB144.jpeg

11F2029F-1231-4FFC-AA11-FC54B2E677A7.jpeg

4F49C192-8F92-43F2-9C30-58400D4CF200.jpeg

Looks great Dubob! Been doing this for 20 years now and yours looks great. When doing bodywork the thing you have to remember is your time is free.... you can put as much or as little as you're willing to.

I'm wondering why he said he would not take it to bare steel but the price depends on what is underneath?

What paint system is he using? Is he billing you on time and materials? What is his labor rate and how many hours is his estimate for? Have you seen any of his work? What is his time line? Is he giving you anything in writing?

A good paint system is going to cost close to a grand for the color alone if he is using base clear. Materials add up fast....

I said I wanted base clear. He is billing on time and materials. He said it would be a few months, But didn't give hours. He was recommended by a guy that owns a resto shop but outsources the paint and body based on customers budget. So I haven't seen his work in person. He did say that he wouldn't know exactly until we picked out the paint and the clear. That was my thought of $6K-8K depending on the paint.

To be honest, I didn't get a good feeling about it. It kinda felt like his main line of work was quick turn around and I don't want to get my car back to find out that it is just covered in bondo.

Thank you. I learned that when I think I’m done I’m not! OP I dove in feet first. I did have people that I’ve known for years to ask questions of that do paint and body. I used SPI products and talked with Barry more than once with questions.

I had quotes of 10-20000 to do my Demon. I have never done paint and body work. Is it perfect? No but I’m happy. At least I can say I’ve done one. The other thing you need to really consider is how long are you willing to wait to drive the car? Believe me I made errors and had to work things out. I took the whole car down to metal and worked up.

View attachment 1715138350

View attachment 1715138351

View attachment 1715138352

View attachment 1715138353

Looks really nice. You're right, I think the thing is getting me is that I have all the parts to put it back together and I am getting tired of seeing it in pieces. I think I just need to get in there and do it.

Thank you. I learned that when I think I’m done I’m not! OP I dove in feet first. I did have people that I’ve known for years to ask questions of that do paint and body. I used SPI products and talked with Barry more than once with questions.

I actually have their Epoxy and their wax and grease remover on my shelf in the garage. haha. I have done a ton of research on this subject. I think the cold weather is getting to me also. I can't currently heat up the garage warm enough to shoot the epoxy. (metal temp has to be 65 deg for a minimum of 6 hours) I haven't barely started to strip the car because I am worried about sitting bare for too long.

Yes I fought the temp thing with the epoxy primer. I used his epoxy, 2k, and clear with PPG base. If you go the route of doing it yourself make sure you use a quality respirator. As far as primer you could section off different areas. Going to depend on what you find body wise too. I hit the stage of not being motivated several times. Just made myself do one thing and that usually led to another and after a while I started seeing some light.

Yes I fought the temp thing with the epoxy primer. I used his epoxy, 2k, and clear with PPG base. If you go the route of doing it yourself make sure you use a quality respirator. As far as primer you could section off different areas. Going to depend on what you find body wise too. I hit the stage of not being motivated several times. Just made myself do one thing and that usually led to another and after a while I started seeing some light.

How did you overcome the temp issues? Did you just wait until it got warmer?

There are outfits that will come out and blast off old paint with a water jet. It doesn't get hot like other medias and will not warp panels....so I'm told....investigate what that costs before talking with more body guys and then get a quote if you are bringing them a bare car. There must be some kind of temporary coat they throw on to keep from flash rusting but I have not done this....just watched it on you tube. I have thought of trying it on next project. Just an idea.

Yes. That’s why I said determine how long your willing to wait to drive it. It took me six years. But that wasn’t just paint and body. I went big block. Basically everything I did myself. Except putting the covers on the seats, engine and trans. When it got cold I’d do other things steering column, heater box, wiring. Heck I had every bit of wiring on my living room floor with the steering column tracing things out. I even got the kids involved with the little projects. Once I got the 2k over the epoxy it went fairly quick. Yes I’m divorced but not due to car.

E6823000-CF44-4ADD-A427-FAFA09D1B871.jpeg

86FF5542-8765-46BD-94B8-2EA24FA1FCE7.jpeg

Last edited:
Yes. That’s why I said determine how long your willing to wait to drive it. It took me six years. But that wasn’t just paint and body. I went big block. Basically everything I did myself. Except putting the covers on the seats, engine and trans. When it got cold I’d do other things steering column, heater box, wiring. Heck I had every bit of wiring on my living room floor with the steering column tracing things out. I even got the kids involved with the little projects. Once I got the 2k over the epoxy it went fairly quick. Yes I’m divorced but not due to car.

View attachment 1715138362

View attachment 1715138363
The price of paint and mat`l will blow u away. I bought at least $1400 worth of the stuff, helped all the way thru on the body work. Put the stainless trim on myself,(after straightening and polishing). and everything back together. Even helped the body man on a lot of his cars that were in his shop. Paid him upon finishing, but it was hundreds, not thousands. Car is a 2 footer.

Sorry to show my ignorance, but:

In your own words, please define the criteria of a "2 footer".

The price of paint and mat`l will blow u away. I bought at least $1400 worth of the stuff, helped all the way thru on the body work. Put the stainless trim on myself,(after straightening and polishing). and everything back together. Even helped the body man on a lot of his cars that were in his shop. Paid him upon finishing, but it was hundreds, not thousands. Car is a 2 footer.

2 footer is the way to go! I will never own another show car. The stress was too much.

I'm sorry (no I'm not) but you will be glad I believe!

Shop001.jpg

This is where I am, and what I have to start with.

I am considering myself very blessed that I no longer work on gravel. Since the wife and I really retired we bought a single wide mobile home and put up this shop. I am more blessed than I deserve for sure, but I certainly enjoy being able to make it happen myself!

I had lower quarter patches and trunk floor extensions replaced in my 66 last summer. Without getting into specifics, I paid a "couple thousand" more than I thought the job would cost. But it was at a local body shop and not at someones home shop.

A little rust repair

Sounds about right. Friend of mine had a first gen Camaro done by another friend’s body shop. One of the best guys I know. He paid around $8K all said and done. It’s laser straight and beautiful. Owner said he’s scared to drive it now because it’s too nice! So, depends on what you are after.

-
Back