Body Work and Paint Estimate

-
Sikkens is the ****. Black Cadillac single stage Sikkens and flow coated. YAHOOO!

We switched to Dupont waterbase a few years ago and now everything has dirt in it. It dries too slow! It also shrinks like crazy so you may not have orange peel today, but you might 6 months from now! I had some small pieces painted with it and man... not happy. We are switching back to Sikkens very soon as they have a new product that is EPA compliant.

No cut and buff here because we use Sikkens clear. Man does this stuff lay down. NOT CHEAP AT ALL. The Duster in my avatar is Sikkens. Look at the gloss on that 20 year old paintjob and it has ALWAYS been outside. No wax on it ever!
I haven't used Sikkens in a long time but back then was an outstanding product. Their clears and Autocryl 3 beautiful stuff.

We switched to Dupont waterbase a few years ago and now everything has dirt in it. It dries too slow! It also shrinks like crazy so you may not have orange peel today, but you might 6 months from now! I had some small pieces painted with it and man... not happy. We are switching back to Sikkens very soon as they have a new product that is EPA compliant.
Most painters I talk to struggle with waterbase. Little drying fans in the booth blowing dust everywhere. Here in De. we're on same voc laws as Cali. My local PPG jobber only has Omni and Envirobase waterborne. No Concept, Dbu etc. Dupont, no more Chromabase, only Nason or Du pont Mosaic. I envy the guys who can still shoot the non compliant products.

I haven't used Sikkens in a long time but back then was an outstanding product. Their clears and Autocryl 3 beautiful stuff.
Still have a siphon feed paint cup pencil holder with "cryl" engraved on the side LOL.
I remember telling the painter about priming the body work "that is what 3+1 is... FOR. Ha Ha.

Most painters I talk to struggle with waterbase. Little drying fans in the booth blowing dust everywhere. Here in De. we're on same voc laws as Cali. My local PPG jobber only has Omni and Envirobase waterborne. No Concept, Dbu etc. Dupont, no more Chromabase, only Nason or Du pont Mosaic. I envy the guys who can still shoot the non compliant products.
Ya that stinks for you Brother. It is only gonna change more. Water base is going to be like the air injection of the engine emissions world.

Still have a siphon feed paint cup pencil holder with "cryl" engraved on the side LOL.
I remember telling the painter about priming the body work "that is what 3+1 is... FOR. Ha Ha.
LOL Give me back my PPG 2001 or Dupont 7500 clears from the 90's.

Dura-block has a nice set of blocks as well as some 20+ inch ones for say quarters and doors. DIY Auto School on youtube has some good videos as well as other places. Just use a cheap black spray paint for a guide coat or SEM makes a guide coat. Key is to take your time with it.

Yea the class I took on this new waterbase dries completely different. You have to install a bunch of little air pods in the booth. It dries with air flow not heat. I switched from ppg 2002 clear to 4000 clear. The 4000 flows out a lot better, it takes no reducer & its more clear. Side by side the 2002 seams to have a slight beer color.

Last edited:
I'm sorry (no I'm not) but you will be glad I believe!

View attachment 1715138382

This is where I am, and what I have to start with.

I am considering myself very blessed that I no longer work on gravel. Since the wife and I really retired we bought a single wide mobile home and put up this shop. I am more blessed than I deserve for sure, but I certainly enjoy being able to make it happen myself!
you my friend are where I am at did the same thing got my single wide and shop built and getting ready to restore my scamp. I had no Idea that there were people out there that had the guts to fix there own cars no matter what. I truly wish all you guys were my neighbor. Been a body man all my life and would share not only my skills but also my tools.

damn painters lol
George you been doing body work for a long time. I'm guessing anyway. how many cars have you seen restored that was said to be laser straight and was not even close. after the owner paid big bucks to have it restored and had not the eye to see all the flaws.

How are you Fred? Don't meet too many Irish guys that retire to North Dakota.

Seriously, as you will see there's quite a few old farts that still into Hot Rods. I am incredibly glad to see so many of the younger generation that have been brought up right! I am glad they still wanna use big cams and pushrods to make fast cars. Body man huh, you'll probably get lots of questions. Read post #50 for me sir! I 've been an aircraft mechanic my whole life so I figure I can get most thngs cyphered.

Glad to hear you have your priorities in line too!

I was up that way in July a few years ago riding a motorcycle around for a few weeks not long ago. Pretty place, too much snow for me though!

Glad to meet ya young man!

George you been doing body work for a long time. I'm guessing anyway. how many cars have you seen restored that was said to be laser straight and was not even close. after the owner paid big bucks to have it restored and had not the eye to see all the flaws.
There's quite a few of them out there like that.

To ask a question, are you talking about the HS clears shrinking back later. Just trying to compare to my own experiences.

How are you Fred? Don't meet too many Irish guys that retire to North Dakota.

Seriously, as you will see there's quite a few old farts that still into Hot Rods. I am incredibly glad to see so many of the younger generation that have been brought up right! I am glad they still wanna use big cams and pushrods to make fast cars. Body man huh, you'll probably get lots of questions. Read post #50 for me sir! I 've been an aircraft mechanic my whole life so I figure I can get most thngs cyphered.

Glad to hear you have your priorities in line too!

I was up that way in July a few years ago riding a motorcycle around for a few weeks not long ago. Pretty place, too much snow for me though!

Glad to meet ya young man!
you always have a place to stay up here and if I get down that way it would be an honor to help you on your ride

Part of the problem with water base is people put excessive film build on. It flashes much quicker when you put thin coats on. Most cars now are so transparent you don't need full coverage and if you are trying to get full coverage with water it won't flash, then after you clear it will pinch. Fear not, water won't be around much longer is my guess... not many painters like it, and almost all companies are coming out with voc compliant base coats. PPG 2001 was great but once 2002 and 2042 came out I learned to like those more. the new 3000-4000 were garbage in my opinion... 2002-2042 were a bit yellow from what I remember. DP was great as well but I learned to work with the DPLF with no real issues other than the white being very transparent. Some of the new water borne base coats sand really neat.. they powder almost like primer. I've sprayed water in PPG, Sikkens, Glasurit, Spies, and Axalta... all a bit different than each other but PPG and Sikkens close to the same and Spies -Axalta(dupont) the same.

Fear not, water won't be around much longer is my guess... not many painters like it, and almost all companies are coming out with voc compliant base coats.

Dupont's Mosaic is their compliant base. Really nice stuff to work with. 2 coat coverage and a little drop coat on some high pearl colors on some bikes i did. The base locks down tight. Reminds me of the PPG Dbu base.

Last edited:
Dupont's Mosaic is their compliant base. Really nice stuff to work with. 2 coat coverage and a little drop coat on some high pearl colors on some bikes i did. The base locks down tight. Reminds me of the PPG Dbu base.

Dbu was good stuff. It had certain quirks that could make some serious problems but for the most part it was great. Good color match back in the day!

Dbu was good stuff. It had certain quirks that could make some serious problems but for the most part it was great. Good color match back in the day!
Only problems I ever had with it were with the 1150 reducer, so hot and fast it would wrinkle up stuff. I do remember them having a bad run on the reducer and pulling all from the shelves.

Only problems I ever had with it were with the 1150 reducer, so hot and fast it would wrinkle up stuff. I do remember them having a bad run on the reducer and pulling all from the shelves.
Yea, if you let drr sit for too long it will coagulate the base and it swims!

To ask a question, are you talking about the HS clears shrinking back later. Just trying to compare to my own experiences.

We painted some fiberglass bumpers. We did a lot of prep work on them to make them flat as steel (almost Lol!). Painted them PXR Brilliant Black Pearl Coat (Chrysler color) and they looked amazing. A few months later they look like fiberglass. The paint shrunk a lot and has a slight waviness to it. Hard to describe. I might be able to wet sand them but I shouldn't have to! We have painted plently of fiberglass with Sikkens and it looks just like steel many years later.

We painted some fiberglass bumpers. We did a lot of prep work on them to make them flat as steel (almost Lol!). Painted them PXR Brilliant Black Pearl Coat (Chrysler color) and they looked amazing. A few months later they look like fiberglass. The paint shrunk a lot and has a slight waviness to it. Hard to describe. I might be able to wet sand them but I shouldn't have to! We have painted plently of fiberglass with Sikkens and it looks just like steel many years later.

Are you sure this isn't just the fiberglass??

-
Back