body work tools question

-
I would LEAVE IT ALONE FOR NOW. Drive it as is until you can afford to paint it. If you do go through the time and trouble to paint it with the JD stuff now, you will only have to undo all that work later, because you won't want to put a shiny new paint job on top of a temporary one. I have been painting cars for almost 40 years. I believe (and I think most would agree), that there is only one way to do a paint job; the right way. A GOOD paint job, in my opinion, requires going down to bare metal. How else can you possibly know what lurks under the current paint. Once down to bare metal, get some epoxy primer on it before the surface rust starts up. Then do all of your body work. Don't scrimp on filler. I like Evercoat Rage Gold. It sands way easier than the cheap stuff, and it will save time. Then several coats of polyester primer; block sand; fix places; more primer; block sand, seal and paint. That is a lot of work to do for a temporary paint job. Also, I really like the Restoration Shop paint from TCP Global. It costs less than half of what PPG or Dupont cost, and it works great. Here are a few pics of my car with the TCP Global paint. ALSO, until just recently, I have always painted cars in my garage, and the results have always fine. Just don't do it on a humid or windy day.

View attachment 1715027890

View attachment 1715027891
I've seen this car and it looks as good up close as it does in the pictures.

Thanks for the advice... still thinking... sweet looking Cuda btw
I would LEAVE IT ALONE FOR NOW. Drive it as is until you can afford to paint it. If you do go through the time and trouble to paint it with the JD stuff now, you will only have to undo all that work later, because you won't want to put a shiny new paint job on top of a temporary one. I have been painting cars for almost 40 years. I believe (and I think most would agree), that there is only one way to do a paint job; the right way. A GOOD paint job, in my opinion, requires going down to bare metal. How else can you possibly know what lurks under the current paint. Once down to bare metal, get some epoxy primer on it before the surface rust starts up. Then do all of your body work. Don't scrimp on filler. I like Evercoat Rage Gold. It sands way easier than the cheap stuff, and it will save time. Then several coats of polyester primer; block sand; fix places; more primer; block sand, seal and paint. That is a lot of work to do for a temporary paint job. Also, I really like the Restoration Shop paint from TCP Global. It costs less than half of what PPG or Dupont cost, and it works great. Here are a few pics of my car with the TCP Global paint. ALSO, until just recently, I have always painted cars in my garage, and the results have always fine. Just don't do it on a humid or windy day.

View attachment 1715027890

View attachment 1715027891

-
Back