body work

-
Reaction score
Hey guys, Im about to start some of the body work on my 71 Dart Swinger. The original owner scraped the passenger side against the garage. Does it look like its worth trying to maybe pull out and bondo or do i need to have that whole quarter swapped out with something like this? I am gonna send of the rear bumper to be rechromed and then start stripping. Im VERY new to this, never done anything like it. So any advice or if you see something in the pics, feel free to point it out. Theres a good chance i missed it :banghead:

Thanks!

that quarter looks like it can be easily repaired as long as the paint isnt hiding alot of bondo covering rust damage. if its solid , straighten it out the best you can and use body filler to finish it off (not too thick though, just use it for finishing work.) the dent on the top of your fender also looks like an easy fix. car actually looks like its in great shape as far as the body goes.nice ride!

I will agree with Justin. I think it would be easire to repair then it would to replace. Just pull the dents out as good as you can then bodyfiller to smooth out. Do not get filler to thick as it will tend to crack later down the road.

Awesome! thats what I was hoping for. Are the kits where you drill a small hole and then pull it out best? Is there a specific kit anyone would recommend? thanks again guys. :iconbigg:

first, try to get behind any dents to pound or pry them out from behind. the ultimate tool would be to use a unispotter with stud puller for removing dents however, they are at least $400. the cheaper option would be to use a slide hammer style puller where you have to drill holes. if this is the route you end up taking, it is best to weld up the holes when you are done. if you dont have a welder ,then you could epoxy the holes using jb weld or another 2 part epoxy which can be bought in the plumbing section of lowes or home depot. not the best method, but it will work and it will be the cheapest.

the ultimate tool would be to use a unispotter with stud puller for removing dents however, they are at least $400.

Harbor Freight has a stud welder kit that comes with the stud welder, slide hammer and studs on sale right now for $99. I'm sure the quality leaves a lot to be desired (as is usually the case at HF) but for someone who's not trying to make a living using it, I think it looks like an OK tool.

http://www.harborfreight.com/stud-welder-dent-repair-kit-98357.html

Has anybody ever used the Harbor Freight / Chicago Electric kit for pulling dents? How is it? Does it work ok or does the welder catch fire and the slide hammer snap in half the first time you try to use it?

Did a 70 Duster, and now a 69 Charger, It is a learning curve, Pond out from the inside (use dollies) No cheap bondo, get evercoat from auto paint store. Ospho, 3m sandpaper, use blocks.Cuss and sand. 2 part primer from sherwin williams, cuss and sand. Do it again, and feel proud.

Go in this site, b bodies, member restoration, 60 Charger rust bucket. Plenty of pics there, if I can help, pm me.

-
Back