bogging down

-

hamsterhats

Reaction score
My dart, with a 318 is bogging down upon depressing the accelerator. It is a rebuilt 2 barrel holley with manual choke. I set the bowl right below the sight hole. I tried advancing the timing, helped a little, but still a lot of hesitation. I know this is a wide range question, but a starting point would help. Thank you, Jeremy!

ok, if i am at the carb, and i give it throttle, and it bogs, couldn't i spray some carb cleaner in there while giving it throttle to see if it is not getting enough fuel? What i am trying to say is: if it is not getting enough fuel and spraying cleaner in the carb makes it go good, then i would need to adjust the carb/jets to increase fuel flow. am i correct in this thinking?

The cleaner will kill it, it doesn't work like starting fluid.FYI

If this is the holley I saw you asking about in another thread do this, change the shooter to a red cam and stick a #25 or maybe #28 shooter on there.

All it takes is a phillips screw driver, that is once you've figured out which way based on the trouble shooting method I mentioned.

1st What size shooter is on it now? ther will be a # on the front of the shooter, the thing that the fuel squirts out of.

ok, i will look today. If I slowly apply throttle it will run, if i step on the guess either while i am at a stop or up to speed it will die.

if the jets are little flat head screws, the number is 61.

Look down the throttle bore with the engine off. Whack the throttle open and see you can see fuel squirting down the bore from the accelerator pump nozzles. The jets seem lean too, I start with some 64's on the two barrel.

i have the bowl off, need new gasket to re assemble, it is beat pretty bad

if the jets are little flat head screws, the number is 61.

That is what comes stock in a 350 holley so you shouldn't need to go any bigger than 2-3 sizes.

Like ramcharger mentioned make sure that your pump lever adjustment is so that the pump squirts immediately when the throttle is cracked.

But what shooter size?=most important!

not sure where shooters or their sizes are? I will do a little research and let you guys know. Thanks!

is a shooter an accelerator pump shot? Where do i find the cam? I looked at an exploded view, can't find the cam?

when I crack the throttle with the engine off, nothing comes out of the shooter. With the engine running, it shoots right away. Any suggestions? about to buy a new carb!

Ok here's my 350 holley and if you look you'll see I pointed out with a pen where the shooter is located, pump adjustment , and pump cam location.

The shooter in the pic is a anti pull over type, yours looks diff I'm sure.

Photo 377.jpg

Photo 379.jpg

Photo 386.jpg

hamster, It sounds like you have a carter not the Holley. is the check valve installed in the accel pump circuit? the accell pump shooter should look the same running or not as long as you don't drain out or carb. Try turning your idle mixture screws in a quarter turn at a time and see if it helps. does the car stumble or just kill when you stomp on it. did you change the cam

Dstdevl, it does say holley on the front, the list number is a 2300, 350cfm. 1wild, I really appreciate you taking the time to take the pictures, i think that they were a huge help. If you notice, in my pic, i think that the pump adjustment is missing. The lever is free floating. Time for a new carb?

bad carb.JPG

Pump cam lever is broke. I bet someone has one. Your middle finger is pointing right at it.

Is the lever broke or just flipped over?

Flip it back over by taking the bowl loose and making sure to put the lever over the diaphragm arm while reinstalling the bowl.

it is flipped over, but missing a chunk. I wimped out and bought a replacement. Just want to be able to drive it a little and feel fairly sure that it will get me home before the summer is out. I know, I'm a pan-z!

ha ha ha

It's just my living room guy's, the rocker arms and springs are on the bar in kitchen.
But I did build my 1st 340 in the living room on the old coffee table...

Photo 390.jpg

-
Back