boiling after 3 miles but...

-
Don't see any actual temps posted in this topic, but I think what you saw as overheating, was just coolant being puked out by the radiator cap probably at the time the thermostat was opening and coolant was expanding.
Do you always fill the radiator right to the top edge?

It has even almost emptied the radiator & engine, & as for thermostat; there's stuff written about that too.

& anyway as stated before: Finito!

Same type and psi rating on the rad cap? So just a bad one..... I get it... each time you pulled it off, it 'reset' itself and what ever was hung up 'unhung'. Had a cap like that once; it was just some tiny minor flaw in some part that would cause it to 'hang' internally.

Yep, something like that.
I see you've got a -62 Dodge on your avatar, I also had one once that had a well-known drag racing history here in Sweden, I had it long after thou but I even remember it from when I was a kid & the car was original & the man who owned it showed its engine with the twin carbs & all I thought was "bah, no Hemi..." because in those days the 426 was the stuff to have & as a kid you don't know much yet. ;)
By the way, it was a red 4-door Dart 440. About 20 years later I got to know it again & it was for sale all busted up with a hot 440 & 8 years after that it was in a barn that caught fire & I bought it with the interior burned out & the whole body all black, sanded it down & painted it red again, sold it to a guy who scrapped it because a convertible neened floor... :( There went some racing history.

That is a sad ending! (For a car nut...)

Yeah, funny on the cross ram.... I was lucky when I was first shown one with my dad around 1961 at the Dodge dealer.. they were friends and he explained to us about the sodium filled valve stems, etc. It impressed THIS 8 year old! My dad took me in it for test ride..... man, I still remember flying across a narrow bridge with the ribbon speedo passing 95 MPH.... and we had just pulled out on the highway! DANG

My '62 is about 95-97% original.. just a simple /6 grocery-getter 4 door car. I bought it from the 2nd owner who had bought the original owner's house and garage with the car in it, after the original owners died, and so the car had been in the same garage for 52 years before I got it. I have the original Bill of Sale too.

Last edited:
Wow, I'm impressed!
I always wondered why some swede ordered a 4-door with that equipment, but glad someone did, what a family sleeper in its days when only coupes was considered sporty.

-
Back