-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
Reaction score
this is Version 2.0 a re-attempt at this thread

TPI = thread per inch

the format is: ...pic of the fastener

first column : bolt diameter, head wrench size, Threads per inch

second column: quantity of that particular fastener, tourque spec (if available), and length

Bolts may vary over the years but these are the fasteners that came from a 1970 non-HP 440 non a/c non PS

all length measurements are under head lengths..so the bolt head is not included in the length

this will be covered in 9 groups in 9 replies

intake manifold group

CIMG1560.jpg

CIMG1561.jpg

CIMG1562.jpg

CIMG1563.jpg

CIMG1564.jpg

CIMG1566.jpg

CIMG1567.jpg

exhaust manifold, the quantity of nuts will vary as to the type of manifolds you have, you can can have max amount 12....some manifolds use nut sleeves

CIMG1607.jpg

i can cover other options that this engine didnt have at a later time such as flywheel and clutch apparatus bolts and motor mounts ....i know motor mounts are different from bicuit to spool but that stuff is snowed in right now so another session :D

How do the bolt sizes differ from lets say, a 383 or 400? Are they all fairly close in size?

BTW, awesome job :wink:

How do the bolt sizes differ from lets say, a 383 or 400? Are they all fairly close in size?

BTW, awesome job :wink:

thanks ....i am going to say a 383 is going to be the same bcoz even the alt bracket is the same for 383 /440 but a different hole is used to account for the deck height difference

eventually i am going to completely dis-assemble a 1969 dodge dart and document all the fasteners ....and i hope to do a small block and slant six as well ....the problem is that its very time consuming....but very fun :D:D:D

Rani, one thing that I noticed is the pipe plug in post #2. Pipe plugs are usually designated by NPT (National Pipe Thread). Believe it is a 3/8 NPT. Pipe is based on inside diameter.

NPT%20changes.png

Good informative post. Well done!

Rani, I just found this and it is great. Thanks for the time and hard work you put into it. Will come in very handy on my slightly disassembled 440.

Great resource Rani!
There are variations on the intake bolts - some have captured washers, and some will have a longer pair for the two that anchor the throttle/kickdown bracket. All have that "alignment tip" on them tho. Also - on the timing cover to block - are you certain you got them all? I believe the bottom (2) on the cover are larger than 3/8-16.

Rani, one thing that I noticed is the pipe plug in post #2. Pipe plugs are usually designated by NPT (National Pipe Thread). Believe it is a 3/8 NPT. Pipe is based on inside diameter.

NPT%20changes.png

Pipe threads are a whole animal in themselves. there are two types of pipe threads. Straight pipe thread and tapered pipe thread. As the names suggest, straight pipe thread is straight with no taper. The tapered pipe thread has a taper to it sorta like a cork in a wine bottle. It is the taper that helps "plug" the hole.

Chrysler typically calls out a straight pipe thread for the "female" hole. then uses a tapered pipe thread to "wedge" into the straight pipe hole and plug it up.

If you use a tapered pipe thread for the hole, then accidentally tap it too deep, the male thread can go all the way through the tapped hole and fall out the other side because it cannot "wedge" itself in and stop.

Therefore it makes more sense to use a straight thread for the whole and a tapered thread for the "plug". Let the mechanical interference seal the hole from leaking.

Great resource Rani!
There are variations on the intake bolts - some have captured washers, and some will have a longer pair for the two that anchor the throttle/kickdown bracket. All have that "alignment tip" on them tho. Also - on the timing cover to block - are you certain you got them all? I believe the bottom (2) on the cover are larger than 3/8-16.

I just did one last week (timing cover) 4) 5/16 on top 4) 3/8 on bottom

NPT%20changes.png

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

-
Back