Bolt pattern adapter?

-

Abo1031

Reaction score
I have a 72 Duster that I'm trying to get the finishing touches on before it becomes my daily driver. I know the bolt pattern on it now is 5x4, but does anyone know where I could get some kind of adapter plate or something like it to covert it to 5x4.5? I have not been able to find any wheels that I like for under $100 each for a 5x4 pattern. But I've found lots on a 5x4.5 pattern. Help, please! Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

I think you would be happier doing a conversion to the large bolt pattern. The parts are pretty plentiful off a 73 or newer disc brake A-Body. You can look at slant 6 cars, 4 doors, wrecked rusted, it doesn't matter. Do you have disc brakes on the front now? If not as a daily driver you will much prefer discs on the front compared to drums. What rear end do you have now? You can get just the axles if you have an 8 3/4 already, if not then you can upgrade your 7 1/4 small pattern to either a 7 1/4 or 8 1/4 big pattern pretty cheap too, possibly less then adapters. Also the adapters are at least 3/4 thick which means you might need wheels with more offset, like modern cars use.

I do think the adapters are safe I just think in our case it's better to do the conversion.

Thanks for the input. Yea, doing a conversion was another option for me. It has a 7 1/4 in it right now. I actually have an extra shortened 8 3/4 rearend right now that I swapped out of my Dart. So maybe I should just take a little bit more time and just do the conversion rather than the quick fix to get it on the road.. lol.. Thanks again!

Yep,do the conversion and be done with it.Disc brake setup from 73up popup in the for sale forum alot,can be had for about $300.Upper control arms(bigger ball joints)spindles,calipers and proportioning valve.Sounds like you,ll be on the road soon enough.:clock:

Yea.. Lol.. Actually believe it or not, I already have a set of disc brake conversions. They were purchased for my Dart, but seeing as I only use that as a Sunday driver and take it to car shows etc.. I might as well use them on Dusty =) lol

The easiest way is to find a 73 up A-body with disc brakes on the front. It doesn't matter what it is so your best bet for the cost is probably a Valiant or Dart 4 door. Then just take the parts off the doner car and use them on your car. There are lots of step by step guides out there on the net but basically you are just putting the newer parts on your car. Also a great time to completely rebuild the front suspension. I think you can find a car on craigslist for under $500 and there might be other parts you can use or resell. I got my motorless 73 Duster doner car for $350 and will probably get most of that back selling fenders, doors, etc keeping the suspension for myself.

I didnt see anyone answer so check jegs. I think they still have them brand new. Not sure about summit. Last time i looked i couldnt find them there. They are made by trans dapt. Part number is something like trd-7066. That may not be exactly right but search and youll find it. And they are cheaper than everyone seems to want when they list them as used.

The easiest way is to find a 73 up A-body with disc brakes on the front. It doesn't matter what it is so your best bet for the cost is probably a Valiant or Dart 4 door. Then just take the parts off the doner car and use them on your car. There are lots of step by step guides out there on the net but basically you are just putting the newer parts on your car. Also a great time to completely rebuild the front suspension. I think you can find a car on craigslist for under $500 and there might be other parts you can use or resell. I got my motorless 73 Duster doner car for $350 and will probably get most of that back selling fenders, doors, etc keeping the suspension for myself.

I did this on my 69 BB dart but how can I get the rear in the /6 car to 4.5 inch? (cheaply)

Just use the rear out of a 73 up (although some 4 wheel drum brake cars still used the small bolt pattern that year so watch out.) If you swap to a 7 1/4 then it should go in with no mods at all, brake lines, driveshaft, U joints, U bolts, everything should be the same. If you go to a 8 1/4 you will need to shorten the driveshaft or use the one out of the donor car. A used 7 1/4 rear end with brakes should be well under $100 (or even free) and I bet there are lots of them in junkyards that don't crush their stuff.

-
Back