Bolt-Through Wheel Cover Freshen Up

-

Cuda Al

Reaction score
For about 10 year plus I have been wanting to freshen up the paint on my bolt through wheel covers. The convertible I recently purchased had these wheel covers on it but were fully polished and no argent accent on them. I took that set off the car and collected the set I have for my fastback along with a couple spares I had in the garage (I have more but not as nice). First thing I did was select 4 good units based on dings etc.

IMG_9356.JPG

IMG_9481.JPG

Next was to mask off the covers around the areas to be painted. I started with one of the covers that still had some paint on it so I could get a good idea on where the line should be. The first couple pockets took a little more time as I was trying to figure out how to manipulate the fine-line tape and the cover itself.

IMG_9489.JPG

With all the sections masked off I needed to fill in the rest of the cover with regular masking tape.
IMG_9490.JPG

IMG_9491.JPG

With one cover done I went out to my paint booth and sprayed the first coat with OER Dark Argent
Mopar6.jpg

After that it was like an assembly line,
1. Do full fine-line
2. Go out put second coat of paint
3. Do secondary masking
4. Paint first coat.
5. Repeat till all 4 covers were done.

IMG_9492.JPG

IMG_9493.JPG

IMG_9513.JPG

Alan

Last edited:
One thing people may not know is that the center cone is clocked to the wheel cover. Most covers I look at the emblem is not clocked correctly.
The cover has a notch in the opening that the cone keys into, this is typically done but not always.
The emblem could go on in three different positions, I have always felt that the emblem up should be opposite the valve stem hole.
IMG_9484.JPG

IMG_9485.JPG

IMG_9486.JPG

IMG_9487.JPG

The emblem is stuck with a foam pad to the mounting cone. I'd avoid taking it off as the ones i have that are loose the chrome came with it and it is just a hot stamped foil.

I may use one of the bad ones to try and cleanup the blue film and re chrome the emblem, this is all on the back side. The plastic itself is clear and the logo etched on the back side where the blue film/coating is as well.

Alan

Last edited:
The centers on my rally wheels need a similar treatment.

-
Back