Book on 60s slot car racing

-
It’s not the classic stuff but I busted out my Tyco set I had when I was a kid. My kids are having a blast playing with it and I’m glad I’ve got a couple of beater cars I don’t care much about when I watch them fly off the track. I’m not a fan of the cliffhanger loop but I loved it when I was a kid and my kids love it so I toss it in. With all the rain we’ve had here recently, I’ve been having a blast creating different tracks and racing too.

AF2DFCAB-7AD4-45A7-BC10-A3E4D88BA9D9.jpeg
B76A5BEF-65D9-4271-83C2-E777CD2D09CB.jpeg

What a fun post! Reading them stirred a lot of memories. Me and a couple buddies ran at our local track in the early 80's. I still have my stuff packed in a box somewhere but the tracks long gone. It sounds like there's still some tracks out there, wouldn't it be great if it got popular again. Sometimes I think some of the things we had growing up need to come back. I feel it would get more kids together out of the house.

Last edited:
Here’s my vintage 1/32 fleet of cars I’m working on.

It seemed like slot car racing has always been about building & tuning your car to be better than the other guys car. But I now do it differently to make it more fun especially for beginners. So I try to get groups of cars that have close to identical performance and run them on a four lane track at a low voltage, like 10 volts.

The old Monogram chassis are great. And the new slot car bodies by Monogram & MRRC use the same body mounts or I add body mounts.

Here’s the first group with the brass chassis. The #3 Chaparral has the aluminum home set chassis with the plastic wheels replaced with aluminum ones - this runs well.

E98569A1-485B-4C56-AB73-BB4D381D83B1.jpeg

00022033-7288-44EA-95CA-D74F51FC7AF7.jpeg

Here’s some home set cars, I’ve replaced the axles & plastic wheels but I don’t think that was really needed. With a guide pin instead of a flag they are super easy to put on the track after an off. I might use these chassis on some more cars

B3D1FF97-8812-4373-ABB7-2342CEE6CD22.jpeg

Here’s the cars I need to finish. MRRC Ford MarkIV & Chaparral 2f plus Monogram Ferrari & Cobra all will be mounted on the first version of the brass chassis. These bodies are superb.

1FA71B8A-39F1-41A3-A640-BF3D81FABCC0.jpeg

Last edited:
-
Back