Boosters!

-

matt71vh

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have recently found that I have a bad brake booster.
1972 dart custom 225 sl6 front disks rear drums.

I have scoured the internet and this forum for direct replacement source and other boosters that are compatible and have found it difficult to get a clear answer. In the interest of getting a good list together in one spot can I get people to share what they know regarding what boosters will work for what darts and all known to work compatible boosters.
Yes my motives are selfish, but I know there are a lot of people that would benefit from this as well.
Also information on CHEAP alternatives I KNOW will be appreciated here.

Thanks in advance to anyone choosing to take the time to share.

I have posted this many times. I pride myself on cheap and resourceful. I didn't want heavy cast-iron junk, so I put a modern booster/MC on 74 Dart brackets in my 65 Dart. Many would work. I just looked around in the JY and robbed a ~95 Breeze w/ ABS (non-ABS has different ports). All Cloud Cars should be the same. If you go newer, most have bubble flare ports (see youtube to make). My flex tubes and prop valve bracket are from an Intrepid I robbed first. Its booster is similar (spare now), but the MC has a tilted reservoir I didn't like. JY mistakes are inexpensive.

You could spend >$250 doing similar from big name places, and most people enjoy convincing themselves that makes sense. They even fault people like me, saying "safety issue, don't take chances" to assuage themselves. My brakes work fine and I can get parts cheap at any local store. That said, there is a relatively inexpensive A-body setup on ebay now, ~$140 I recall. It is based on a GM booster but w/ Mopar lever and pedal link. One guy here said he had to adapt it a bit to fit his pedal position.

Attachments

• master cylinder & booster.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 139
Thanks for your response and addition to this topic.

I saw this post earlier, and wanted to ask are you saying that with the stock bracket you can pretty much get most boosters to mount up? and to use the one's that have abs?

... are you saying that with the stock bracket you can pretty much get most boosters to mount up? and to use the one's that have abs?

Certainly don't know about all boosters, but the ones on Intrepids and Cloud Cars have a bolt pattern close enough to Dart brackets to work (take your tape measure to the junkyard like I did). Width was slight narrower, so I rat-tail filed the bracket holes a little. They have metric threads, so save the nuts, and I used nuts on both sides of the bracket to adjust the axial position. That also let me tilt it up slightly to clear my taller Weind valve covers. My comment on the ABS MC is that it works better because it has the ports where I wanted. Nothing to do with the ABS function. I recall that the non-ABS MC's have 3 ports, meaning they split to the fronts at the MC, so you would need to do that too, or plug one port. You can probably figure out why ABS MC's have a single front port.

-
Back