Borg and Beck type clutch with hydraulic throwout bearing?

-

gzig5

Reaction score
Are there any issues to use a B&B style clutch on an A833 trans with a hydraulic throwout bearing like the ones from McLeod or American Powertrain? I haven't seen anything on the manufacture's webpages regarding this but Brewer's states that the Mcleod kit should only be used with diaphragm type. Was wondering why this was?? The American Powertrain kit on Summit doesn't say anything about the type of pressure plate.
This could put a kink in my conversion to a manual if I have to use a diaphragm because I already have a B&B setup. I know there are proponents of both but I don't want to get into that in this discussion. Just limit to the technical issues if any with a hydraulic throwout.

I can't answer your question directly but when I ordered the Apex hydraulic kit through Passon, Jamie asked me if it was for a 18 or 23 spline and if I was using a diaphragm style or a B&B style. I had commented that I thought you could only use it with the diaphragm style and he said that the B&B just uses a different sized throw out bearing and he needed to know which style to order.

It was drop shipped from Eastside Motorsports, but they don't have anything for a 23 spline 833 listed on their site, so I'm not sure what they put together for me.

I believe its more or less the same kit that American Powertrain offers. It's a Wilwood master, 2 different sized reservoirs and the bearing and spacer look the same, the mounting bracket is a little different, but has the same adjustability in it. The out the door price was about $50 cheaper than the list price at American powertrain.

I have a B&B style clutch with a hydraulic throwout bearing in my Duster as part of my T56 conversion, works fine.

You do have to be sure that the diameter of the throwout bearing works with the diameter of the levers or diaphragm though. So those specific hydraulic conversions may not work with a B&B.

Apex is owned by a Mopar guy named Gray. He also has a stake in ownership at Eastside. That’s probably why it’s cheaper through East Side. Gray was the lead engineer at Keisler back in the day.

The bearing itself comes in two different configurations, Flat and Curved . using either one depends on the contact shape of the pressure plate fingers.

Are there any issues to use a B&B style clutch on an A833 trans with a hydraulic throwout bearing like the ones from McLeod or American Powertrain? I haven't seen anything on the manufacture's webpages regarding this but Brewer's states that the Mcleod kit should only be used with diaphragm type. Was wondering why this was?? The American Powertrain kit on Summit doesn't say anything about the type of pressure plate.
This could put a kink in my conversion to a manual if I have to use a diaphragm because I already have a B&B setup. I know there are proponents of both but I don't want to get into that in this discussion. Just limit to the technical issues if any with a hydraulic throwout.

I also have a hydraulic TOB with a B&B clutch. I've just pulled the no garage out of the garage and into a trailer. It's seemed a little harder to push the clutch but engaged great. I would call Eastside Motorsports. They have excellent customer service.

@72bluNblu Did you leave the over center spring on? I left mine on.

I have an american powertrain HTB.
I put my system together with my B&B pressure plate.
I had a 3100 lb PP and the pressure to push my clutch in was too hard.
I called A.P. and the tech said, oh no, no B&B could be used.
He said if you pushed the bearing past the 3 fingers it would be bad.
I have no idea how you could go through the fingers/levers but that was what was told to me.
I changed to a McLeod diaphrapm and the pressure was MUCH better.
And I have been to the track twice and the system is working great.
My experience.

I also have a hydraulic TOB with a B&B clutch. I've just pulled the no garage out of the garage and into a trailer. It's seemed a little harder to push the clutch but engaged great. I would call Eastside Motorsports. They have excellent customer service.

@72bluNblu Did you leave the over center spring on? I left mine on.

No, I removed the overcenter spring. It serves no purpose whatsoever with a hydraulic clutch

I guess I'm going to have to drag the parts out and start measuring to see where the difference is. I have a stock B&B clutch, flywheel, throwout bearing, fork, bell housing, as well as the Mcleod hydraulic kit, but don't have and was hoping to not have to mess with mechanical linkage from the clutch pedal back to the throwout. Truth be told I probably would need to upgrade the clutch to handle the rebuilt engine anyway but I was going to get it going with what I have.

Hi, I am installing American Powertrain hydraulic throw out bearing on a 1971 Scamp, the car was originally 318/auto, I got a pedal conversion from Brewsters. In the power train instructions they say a 5 or 6 to 1 pedal travel is optimum. Did you use same angle as oem linkage? etc. ?? Looks like I will be able to mount slave at same locaton as mechanical linkage hole in firewall. American powertrain technical assistance is really non existent. Any tips would be appreciated. It is going to be a 360 with a A833 four speed, I did order clutch and pressure plate from them also Thank you, Dave

The pedal ratio is engine specific, I think. The slave will mount as you describe. Did you buy the pedals from Brewers? Call them and ask what the ratio is if the set you got.

Thank you for your response, Yes, I did get the reproduction pedal set from Brewers and they sent me a schematic for a mechanical setup. I will contact them. I have been checking out the U tube and think I got a good understanding of what the process is. I was hoping that someone had already set up the kit on their A body. I am doing a trial run on block / tranny set before I finish dismantling and mount on a rotisserie. I ordered correct motor mounts from Schumacher Creative Services rather than the adapters. Again Thank You, Dave

-
Back