Borg Warner SG how to.

-

dennday67

Reaction score
The guy that setup my 489 with new bearings and new 3:73s didn't get the splines lined up or removed the thrust block for my new green bearing axles. I was thinking about taking the SG apart to remove the thrust block and realign the splines. Does anyone have a good link to a write up or video on how to do it correctly?

Cone style or clutch style?

The video I watched said you did have to take it apart to line up the spline but I also have to remove the thrust block anyways as recommend but the staff at Dr Different.

The video I watched said you did have to take it apart to line up the spline but I also have to remove the thrust block anyways as recommend but the staff at Dr Different.
well, that is probably a way to line up the splines, but it is not the only way. If you stick a board between the studs of an axle(like a lever), with the axle inserted part way (into 1st set of splines) and give the board a sharp whack with a small hand sledge it will move(slip) the 1st set of splines relative to the second set. It doesn't have to move very far, and it doesn't take a lot of hitting. Once you have the splines lined up slide the axle all the way in, and repeat for the other side if they were not aligned properly on reassembly. Of course, it is smarter to line them up to begin with on assembly, but it's not a deal breaker. I couldn't speak to the block issue, because I've never found it necessary to go the "green" bearing conversion route.

The only reason they recommended removing the thrust block is because my housing is an 1/8" narrower than stock a body.

With the bearings from Dr Diff u shouldn’t have to remove the spacer. Put ur axles in and see if they bolt in with out bending the retaining plates. Kim

why not just disc grind 3/32 or 1/8 inch off each axle at the splines --- instead of removing the thrust block.

Cause it ain't but like 15 pieces to disassemble the whole farkin thing and do it right.

Cause it ain't but like 15 pieces to disassemble the whole farkin thing and do it right.
Thank you! Im the type of guy that likes to do things the right way. I don't want to grind on my brand new axle shafts or smack them with a hammer to realign the splines. All I wanted was a bit of info on the disassemble and reassemble plus torque specs.

Thank you! Im the type of guy that likes to do things the right way. I don't want to grind on my brand new axle shafts or smack them with a hammer to realign the splines. All I wanted was a bit of info on the disassemble and reassemble plus torque specs.

If you follow the link in post #5 it will tell you everything you've asked here.

If you follow the link in post #5 it will tell you everything you've asked here.
Yep and after reading it over about 4 times I've ordered the gear compound, dial indicator, and inch pound dial wrench so I can take it apart and check everything. The guy that did the rebuild finally got back to me after my tool purchase and said bring it over on Monday. I just build an 8.75 adapter to mount up into my engine stand on break yesterday out of scrap metal too.

Attach25482_20190730_170001.jpg

well, if you were that "type of guy", you'd buy a Factory Service Manual, and you'd do it yourself, instead of hiring it out to some guy who did it wrong.
For the record, I never said hammer directly on your axles, you hammer on a block of wood spanning the axle lug studs.

well, if you were that "type of guy", you'd buy a Factory Service Manual, and you'd do it yourself, instead of hiring it out to some guy who did it wrong.
For the record, I never said hammer directly on your axles, you hammer on a block of wood spanning the axle lug studs.
I do have the factory service manual but differentials is the only thing that makes me a little nervous working on. The guy that did the rebuild does nearly all the cars that run at the local drag strip and has done 2 of my other rear ends. This is the first I've ever heard of seen a mishap like this from his work.

-
Back