bought a new old harley

-

thanson_mopar

Reaction score
just picked up another harley, she is a '80 Wide Glide with an 80 cu shovelhead. has a fresh top end, guage assembly from a police special. I think I am going to swap the drag bars for a set of ape hangers. The bike is lowered 2 inches right now. The bike is AMF orange right now....I will be repainting it....something a little more traditional. Will eventually get a springer front end and seat and more than likely end up on a rigid frame.

26945_339510483654_506553654_3474833_7773668_n.jpg

26945_339510493654_506553654_3474834_5315310_n.jpg

26945_339510513654_506553654_3474835_458317_n.jpg

26945_339510518654_506553654_3474836_5319399_n.jpg

26945_339510528654_506553654_3474837_3261155_n.jpg

26945_339510533654_506553654_3474838_4084694_n.jpg

26945_339510553654_506553654_3474839_1831669_n.jpg

Well done and nice pick! Apehangers and rigid frames aren't my style and I consider them a saftey hazard but it's not my bike so I should probably shut up....

This is exactly the bike I would have picked for a project, great choice! I always liked the big shovels.

My bud has one for many years now. You can find him over at FBBO, his name, SEMI HEMI

Well done and nice pick! Apehangers and rigid frames aren't my style and I consider them a saftey hazard but it's not my bike so I should probably shut up....

This is exactly the bike I would have picked for a project, great choice! I always liked the big shovels.

I've had about every style of bar except for ape's so I figure I should try them out. I have been looking for a older bike to modify......I have been to sturgis more than a few times and thats all I saw was evolutions.....they are great reliable engines but I just want something a little different, so I found a great deal on this shovel.

nice bike my next harley will be a shovel head.right now i have an 03 softtail nice bikes but nothin like the old ones

good find. I love the old shovel bikes. Just curious, but what is the advantage to a rigid frame? Kinda seems like a step backwards.

Looks like a nice bike. Not too many shovels out there any more. Once you get them set up, Shovels can be just as reliable as an Evo. I had a few over the years. This is my current '82 Wide Glide with a 96" S&S/Delkron. You might not like the 2" under, I had mine 2" under at first but it dragged too much in the turns.

FX1.jpg

Looks like a nice bike. Not too many shovels out there any more. Once you get them set up, Shovels can be just as reliable as an Evo. I had a few over the years. This is my current '82 Wide Glide with a 96" S&S/Delkron. You might not like the 2" under, I had mine 2" under at first but it dragged too much in the turns.

I have a 79 lowrider all origional with 200,000 miles on it. it is my favorate trip bike.I also have a ridgid frame sporty for playing at the strip 61 cu in and 12.80 in the quarter.Street legal. I also have a 7 second fuel harley 96 inch. I ran it on 70% nitro It is a true harley with Iron head cases and heads.It is in the top of my shop along with the other drag bikes My total collection numbers 15 I would consider selling the dragsters if someone was serious. Otherwise They can stay there since they don't eat nothing and I can remoniss over them.
I hope you enjoy your shovel as much as I have enjoyed mine.
Roscoe

I've had about every style of bar except for ape's so I figure I should try them out. I have been looking for a older bike to modify......I have been to sturgis more than a few times and thats all I saw was evolutions.....they are great reliable engines but I just want something a little different, so I found a great deal on this shovel.

These later model 80 ci shovels were good engines. The factory really picked up on QC after Willie G. bought HD back from AMF and the machine work is much better than the early shovels and they have much less tendency to leak. There is a ton of aftermarket support and the engine itself, IMHO, looks far better than than the EVOs.

Enjoy the new ride and I'm green with envy..... You suck, lol. Can I ask what you paid and if it's a good runner?

Nice shovelhead! Lots of parts around and still a good engine. You ever ride a hardtail any distance? IMO hardtails are for hard asses. I always called them asshammers. That is the part of building your own ride. I love the looks of a rigid frame. If you have nice smooth highways you won't mind it too much.

I see comments on the ape hangers and rigid frame, neither of which I see on the orange bike. Definately has shocks, and appears to be drag bars...I had an 85 Wide Glide with an evo...
Good luck with it, have fun, and be mindful of all the a-holes on the road.

Dave

I would wipe off anything on that bike that is even remotely connected to AMF !!
That bunch of fools almost bankrupted the company.

Have fun with your project!!

We always called the AMF bikes bowlingballs. I owned a 79 FXEF and it was a good machine. I put about fifty thousand on it befor I sold it.

Enjoy that great ol shovelhead 8)
Not being up on the Harley's, Why do they call them shovelhead's ?
I sure miss just me and the road on my Bike's back in the day =P~
My last one was a small BUT fast 550 four K Honda.
No more riding for me, But I do get to sneak a friends 1100 shadow out know and then. Congrat's on a new project thanson_mopar :cheers:

Hey check out my 1940 Indian Chief
I sold my Harley to buy this in a thousand pieces and rusted, my wife thought I was nuts but she had no idea on what I had. It took me six months to finish her off. I won 10 major bike showes in two years and had lots of fun riding it.

Indian.jpg

Indian.jpg

Very nice choice! I've had 12 inch apes and 18's and I would say that 12's are the way to go. 18's are a bit of a pain when you've got to turn too fast but the 12's werent bad at all andvery comfy for me

I sold my Harley to buy this in a thousand pieces and rusted, my wife thought I was nuts but she had no idea on what I had. It took me six months to finish her off. I won 10 major bike showes in two years and had lots of fun riding it.

View attachment 133048

Awesome! The Harley is cool also!

View attachment 133048

SWEET! I worked on a mid 40's model Indian years ago and it's presently in a museum right now. The valve seats got loose so I just peened the edges, tapped them in and peened them again from the top. The owner drove it for another 5+ years, died and then willed it to the museum.

:happy10: Thank you Joe :happy10: I can say I learned something today :cheers:

Your welcome Mike. :)

-
Back