bought a super cheap slant.

-

the_fatman

Reaction score
I bought a sant six the other day dont know much about it just that it "ran when pulled" no idea when it was pulled but hey i paid practically nothing for it....

anyway how do I identify what year and size this thing is.

I don't have pics. I was just curious where the markings were on this thing to tell me about it.

Nothing wrong with a cheap slant six, you can get them free sometimes too. I've given two away myself.

I don't have pics. I was just curious where the markings were on this thing to tell me about it.

ugh ...men never awnser directly .....to awnser ....on passenger side of the engine ....where the head meets the block .....there sould be a rail on the block side on surface faceing up on the block...prolly greasy and towards the front should say engine displacement ....also you might google the casting number that is on the driver side of the block

also take a took at the small piece of hose connecting the water pump to the head .....that will tell you if you have a low deck (170 or 198 ) or rasied RG motor 225.

i will get pics where to look hold on 5 mins

on passenger side ......behind the alt. just below the spark plugs

Attachments

• CIMG1131.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 260
  • CIMG1130.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 247
on driver side ...casting numbers on side of the block

Attachments

• CIMG1133.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 257
  • CIMG1132.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 253
Everything you need to know and more here http://www.slantsix.org/articles/dutra-blocks/slant-blocks.htm

"ran when pulled" always scares me. I have a '74 225 slant six that "ran" when I bought my Duster. Now, it only ran on 5 cylinders, but hey, it RAN. :D So, it ran when I pulled it! And then there's the 318 I bought to replace it. It too "ran when pulled". Of course, it smokes like a pig at a Hawaiian barbecue #-o , but it runs.

I'd happily GIVE that /6 to anyone willing to pick it up. Its the better casting with the additional ribs, and still has a forged crank. Just needs a rebuild. Otherwise I'll be scrapping it just like Okla. No interest in it after several months and several bumps in the parts for sale section.

Here's hoping yours runs well! :thumbup:

fatman,
If the fan belt is on, try turning it over by hand. If you feel 3 strong "springs" resisting you per rev, you know the engine is good. The opposite doesn't mean it is bad since could need oil, valves adjusted, ... If you can't turn it over no matter what you try (pry on starter teeth), it is probably seized and may need a rebuild. Smart to squirt a little oil in each spark plug hole and spin it without plugs first.

72bluNblu,
That is a great offer. Thinking of taking you up on it since you are close by, and I would even pay you. Just need to ponder where I can store a spare engine without the wife fussing. Also need to investigate the fit to my 64 transmission. I think I would need an adapter ring for my smaller snout torque converter.

72bluNblu,
That is a great offer. Thinking of taking you up on it since you are close by, and I would even pay you. Just need to ponder where I can store a spare engine without the wife fussing. Also need to investigate the fit to my 64 transmission. I think I would need an adapter ring for my smaller snout torque converter.

I can do you one better, its currently hooked up to the '74 904 that was in the car with it and I'd be more than happy to send it with you. Of course then you'd probably need a new driveshaft. More info here http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=193257

Shoot me a PM if you're interested, I need it out of my way.

72bluNblu,
The kink on the tranny is that mine is cable-shift, so I would have to rework the linkage with a Lokar kit or such, and re-design like that is very time-consuming. Plus, the 64 tranny has a rear pump that allows push starting, which is a nice feature.

I'll have to research the crank pilot hole issue more. I have read that slants changed, about the time that SB's did. I thought it tied to the change to cast cranks, but maybe not.

-
Back