Braided fuel hose

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
Looking for some info on 3/8 steel braided fuel hose what does 6an 8an 10 an and so on mean? which 1 should i get there is a plastic inner and rubber i had rubber and it clamp good but what about the plastic how does it clamp.

AN stands for Army/Navy, which originally created the spec for their own use. Sizes are in 16ths of an inch, example is -8AN is 8/16" or 1/2" ID line. For today's fuel it is recommended to use a PTFE lined hose as the new fuel eats the rubber liner. There is a different spec for in tank hose that will be submerged in fuel.

Snake,go on summit,s site,they sell kits with line and fittings.Much cheaper than buying each piece separate.

Be aware that the actual fittings are different between 200 series stainless braided nitrile hose (it's a synthetic rubber) and PTFE hose (a teflon).

200 series hose will stand up to methanol and nitromethane, so you should be somewhat safe with the swill at your local pump. PTFE is a way stiffer hose and is used for hydraulics and whatnot where hose expansion can be a concern. (Think brake lines).

From your question about clamps, I'm guessing you are going to slip it on to a push on fitting? PTFE would be a ***** to do that with.

The "dash" sizes refer to the I.D. of the hose in 16th inch increments. It's not exact, but close.

-
Back