Brake Bleeding

-

SpeedThrills

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
In the 70s, when I learned how to do this stuff, I was taught to work from the farthest wheel from the master cylinder, to the closest. Lately, I’ve seen it said that you should do the closest wheel first. Did something change, or are they talking about newer cars? Or does it just not really matter, as long as you get the air out. lol
“Enquiring minds need to know”.

I haven't heard of the "new" way and my car is old. So "old" way it is. Farthest first.
And for what its worth I do farthest first on all my newer vehicles too.

Regardless, if you look into the physics of the process the only way air is introduced into a sealed system is through the respective front or rear reservoir or an open brake line. If you let the reservoir go empty then you're starting again. If you temporarily remove one front caliper to replace it opening up a line, you'll only have to bleed that side. Unless the line is open long enough for all the fluid to drain out back to the nearest T, which is highly unlikely. But if it happens then both sides that are effected need to be done.

I haven't heard of the "new" way and my car is old. So "old" way it is. Farthest first.
And for what its worth I do farthest first on all my newer vehicles too.

Regardless, if you look into the physics of the process the only way air is introduced into a sealed system is through the respective front or rear reservoir or an open brake line. If you let the reservoir go empty then you're starting again. If you temporarily remove one front caliper to replace it opening up a line, you'll only have to bleed that side. Unless the line is open long enough for all the fluid to drain out back to the nearest T, which is highly unlikely. But if it happens then both sides that are effected need to be done.

Actually that is not the only way. Cylinders not returning/ no residual pressure can suck in past the cups. Master cylinders can do that as well

FWIW Honda and Acura bleed procedure is LF, RF, RR, LR. I follow the service manual (old way) for my Dodge and pressure bleed. Works every time and is a one man job.

FWIW Honda and Acura bleed procedure is LF, RF, RR, LR. I follow the service manual (old way) for my Dodge and pressure bleed. Works every time and is a one man job.
That’s probably where I heard it. I have the FSM for my wife’s Accord.
I wonder why it’s different?

-
Back